Thread: Adapting

Adapting

Hi,

First post here, though I've lurked for a while!

Since the mid 90's I've been a keen mountain biker, racing XC and doing endurance events but took some time off last year (mostly due to family commitments) and decided to do some running instead. Started out trail running but hill running has always appealed so last year I did my first race - up Screel in SW Scotland - which I enjoyed a lot. I finally got round to doing my second race at the weekend and ran Criffel (again a SW Scotland race). Coming from a cycling background I found I had some fitness for the climbs, but died on the descents. What do I need to do to build leg strength for descending? I slipped a lot on Sunday (wearing X-talons so I can't blame the shoes) which I think was due to fatigue more than anything else. Still in awe of the guys who descend so quickly that I'm sure I'll pass them wrapped around a fence or tree later on!

One issue I have is very poor/tight hamstrings and hip flexors from years in the saddle. I think this is my key weakness so any tips on improving strength here would be appreciated.

Thanks

J

The trouble with being a cyclist is that you end up really high up the field after the climbs. So you're doing the descents along with people who are really good at it. And this makes you think you're a poor descender. I would say you're a really strong climber.

I think fast descending is partly natural, but a lot practice. And it's best to practice in races, otherwise it's hard to really commit to going that fast. So it's natural that you won't be good at it yet, as you've only done 2 proper practice events. Enter more races, and leave enough energy from the climbs so you can push on the descent.

Do you have a high cadence on the bike? I think part of the tricky bit of running downhill quickly is that the cadence can be a lot faster than you're used to.

It shouldn't be strength - you need good quads for descending. But your biking should have set up well for that already.

Slightly different mindset to cycling where you push on the climbs and recover on the descents! There is no recovery in hill running!

I have a high cadence on the bike, was a reasonable rider. I'm not that good a runner - definitely not a good climber! Will work on it though. I had been practising a lot, obviously a race situation is far different to running alone. It is like descending on the MTB I suppose - balls over brain.

Slightly different mindset to cycling where you push on the climbs and recover on the descents! There is no recovery in hill running!

I have a high cadence on the bike, was a reasonable rider. I'm not that good a runner - definitely not a good climber! Will work on it though. I had been practising a lot, obviously a race situation is far different to running alone. It is like descending on the MTB I suppose - balls over brain.

Quote Originally Posted by james_a View Post
    Hi,

First post here, though I've lurked for a while!

Since the mid 90's I've been a keen mountain biker, racing XC and doing endurance events but took some time off last year (mostly due to family commitments) and decided to do some running instead. Started out trail running but hill running has always appealed so last year I did my first race - up Screel in SW Scotland - which I enjoyed a lot. I finally got round to doing my second race at the weekend and ran Criffel (again a SW Scotland race). Coming from a cycling background I found I had some fitness for the climbs, but died on the descents. What do I need to do to build leg strength for descending? I slipped a lot on Sunday (wearing X-talons so I can't blame the shoes) which I think was due to fatigue more than anything else. Still in awe of the guys who descend so quickly that I'm sure I'll pass them wrapped around a fence or tree later on!

One issue I have is very poor/tight hamstrings and hip flexors from years in the saddle. I think this is my key weakness so any tips on improving strength here would be appreciated.

Thanks

J
    Those races are 1000 and 2000 footer shorts by the looks of it, so you're always going to be pushed on those kinds of consistently steep descents. You could try consecutive good-form squats or just do more of those sorts of races and wait for your legs to get used to it. I'm not surprised you slipped wearing x-talons, they're a terrible shoe for fast descending, try a mudclaw if you're an inov-8 afficionado.

What makes you think you have tight hamstrings? Careful on the terminology there, i can't touch my toes and yet i do not have 'tight' hamstrings. If you are feeling soreness it's more likely they are getting used properly for the first time and suffering DOMS. Same with the hip flexors, hip flexor problems are most often felt as knee problems so don't confuse muscle soreness with problems in tissue chains. A gentle daily stretching program for affected areas will help healing processes, and be aware that you are using all these supportive/control muscle groups for the first time ever so don't rush anything. It's not strength you'll need to improve either if you have been diagnosed with hip flexor or hammy problems, it's muscle recruitment. Persistent hammy problems are often down to lazy glutes. Pilates is a perfect system for iradicating most problems originating from the hip flexor or hamstring areas,
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

James welcome to the site, I was racing too at Criffel this weekend, Criffel is a difficult race to do downhill due to the steepness and boggy ground. Thought by many to be the muddiest race in the SHR calendar. I am leading a club recce for new runners of Screel next weekend funny enough.
    To judge yourself on your ability to come down Criffel with experience hill runners is a little unfair, some of the leading guys in the top 10 there don’t have years of experience they have decades.
    Mudclaws are de-rigeur for Criffel and even with them I fell 4 times, and this year it was relatively good under foot.
    To downhill well you need grippy shoes, confidence and strong quads shoes can be bought the other two take time to develop. If you can get the confidence to “disengage brain” and go for it trusting your balance and reactions to keep you upright with the knowledge that without the odd fall you aren’t trying then you will come down a lot quicker.

You are welcome to join us at the Screel recce by the way.

ATB

Kev
    Annan and District Athletic Club. http://www.adac.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    James welcome to the site, I was racing too at Criffel this weekend, Criffel is a difficult race to do downhill due to the steepness and boggy ground. Thought by many to be the muddiest race in the SHR calendar. I am leading a club recce for new runners of Screel next weekend funny enough.
    To judge yourself on your ability to come down Criffel with experience hill runners is a little unfair, some of the leading guys in the top 10 there don’t have years of experience they have decades.
    Mudclaws are de-rigeur for Criffel and even with them I fell 4 times, and this year it was relatively good under foot.
    To downhill well you need grippy shoes, confidence and strong quads shoes can be bought the other two take time to develop. If you can get the confidence to “disengage brain” and go for it trusting your balance and reactions to keep you upright with the knowledge that without the odd fall you aren’t trying then you will come down a lot quicker.

You are welcome to join us at the Screel recce by the way.

ATB

Kev
    Hi Kev,

I'm off to Screel tomorrow morning, might see you there!

I think I just need to persevere and allow myself to get used to the different demands. Certainly using muscles I didn't know I had!
    Last edited by james_a; 28-03-2015 at 11:50 PM. Reason: premature post!

James where do you stay? I lead recce runs for our club for most of the local hill races in D+G as well as trips to the Lakes ect, PM me your e-mail addy if you want to be kept in the loop to what we are up to.

ATB

Kev
    Annan and District Athletic Club. http://www.adac.org.uk/