Hi,

First post here, though I've lurked for a while!

Since the mid 90's I've been a keen mountain biker, racing XC and doing endurance events but took some time off last year (mostly due to family commitments) and decided to do some running instead. Started out trail running but hill running has always appealed so last year I did my first race - up Screel in SW Scotland - which I enjoyed a lot. I finally got round to doing my second race at the weekend and ran Criffel (again a SW Scotland race). Coming from a cycling background I found I had some fitness for the climbs, but died on the descents. What do I need to do to build leg strength for descending? I slipped a lot on Sunday (wearing X-talons so I can't blame the shoes) which I think was due to fatigue more than anything else. Still in awe of the guys who descend so quickly that I'm sure I'll pass them wrapped around a fence or tree later on!

One issue I have is very poor/tight hamstrings and hip flexors from years in the saddle. I think this is my key weakness so any tips on improving strength here would be appreciated.

Thanks

J