Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ultra running

Its still all cheap compared to cycling gear

I did my first ultra at the Hobble a couple of weeks ago. Great sense of achievement at the end.

I too am a fan of the LDWA events, done a few, great value for money and a great relaxed, no pressure approach to running as most aren't even timed or results issued.

When i go out on the fells the kit fair adds up, not on the same scale but i reckon it's not too far away - not one to chance what could be a potential life threatening situation in the hills with £7 aldi waterproofs.
    Wayne McIntosh - Clayton-le-Moors Harriers

Fellrunning Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Will_B View Post
    Its still all cheap compared to cycling gear
    Could the cycling adage 'Light, Strong, Cheap - choose any 2' be reapplied to running?

Well said Stolly, just about the only decent post on this silly thread

Didn't realise you could only post serious threads, my bad :-0

I fail to see what's silly about discussing the effectiveness (or lack of) of expensive kit versus more affordable kit. Whether it be ultra running or not. The best rucksack for ultra running that I have bought (S-lab 12 set) happens to be the most expensive. Although some shoes, especially Salomon and Inov 8, are getting SILLY in price. Not to mention X-bionics. how much can a T-shirt really do for you!

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar
    As Stolly says, lot of it is driven by kit requirements, but even then I think you can pick and choose where to spend your money. Areas to not scrimp are probably rucksack (or the trend for vest-style packs), waterproof jackets and shoes. But the firt 2 will last as long as you want them to I think.

For a recent 50k, I needed new trainers, tried New Balance 980v2s (£90), loved them, but saved £30 and went for the old NB 980s. How much has the tech really moved on in a few months? So even then you can save if you're quite happy not to have the latest thing (my OMM sack is about 6yrs old now). My running jacket was £100+ jobbie, but me & the missus got his and hers versions in a buy one get one half price deal, so worked out much cheaper. Other than that, it was ALDI socks, Karrimor trail shorts, mainly for the pockets (£12 in a sale, down from £50...which I'd never have paid), and a combination of old t-shirts I had hanging around. Nutrition was a couple of 9 Bars (50p each) and a bottle of water.

Also the comparison between pointy end runners and mid-pack to tail-enders is valid. I don't think though this is simply all-gear-no-idea types in the middle and end though. The winner of that 50k did it in 3h40 (and could have easily been at the start of a short fell race the way he was dressed). Mid-pack time was 5h40 and the tail-enders were over 8hrs. Not necessarily a perfect correlation between the amount of gear you carry and where you finish, but there's got to be a different mindset when preparing for a 3.5hr jaunt against 8hrs of exhausting slog?

Though maybe if they shed their kit, the resulting weight saving would see them shave 5hrs off their time?
    Last edited by southernsoftie; 28-03-2015 at 11:00 AM.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

I just bought some new balance mte 101 shoes for 15 quid, should get me through the summer season in what is still my favourite long distance shoe, my birthday is next week so I might try and get a decent jacket, this I know little about :?

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar
    Generally as long as it's waterproof (taped seams) and windproof you're reet. After that, pick your budget: £40-240. More expensive tends to mean lighter, but some brands charge a premium for their name. There are decent lightweight jackets to be had for less than £100. Also check out the sales to pick up last season's, or the one before for a bargain.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

The longer the event the more important comfort and added weight become. To a large degree though I think it's just a question of maximising what you have. A potential race winner is unlikely to finish mid pack purely down to kit (Bob Graham had basic kit on his round). This might mean putting up with a rubbing rucksack or T-shirt sagging with sweat. But i suppose the more you do these things the more you understand the importance of comfort, and how all the little bits of discomfort can build to slow you down, or at least push you more mentally. Spending a bit extra on kit to avoid this is probably deamed a worthwhile investment for most. I bought a spangly X-bionics T-shirt (why I mentioned it in the earlier post) for £30 (sportspersuit) it should have been £65 I think...ludicrous . Not used it yet but I imagine it will only feel beneficial in any way, in a race of over 3 hours long.
    Last edited by Alan Lucker; 28-03-2015 at 04:01 PM.