Thread: YHA Ambleside-training routes

YHA Ambleside-training routes

Hi, Im staying at the YHA at ambleside soon for a couple of days and would like a route i can go out on more or less straight from the door of the YHA, prefer not to be driving about as its an organised weekend so theres other stuff planned, have to fit in early morning.

Any suggestions? Was looking at OS and there seems to be a route up past a quarry and through skelghyll woods, up to high skelghyll to wansfell pike and and round past baystones/hundreds and then sort of back.

Would ideally like to be out 1hr plus.

Any suggestion/advice or alternative routes would really appreciated, cant come to lakes and not go for a run in the hills, it would be so rude not to.

cheers, egor

Re: YHA Ambleside-training rou

isn't the 3 shires route around that part of the world???

Super Moderator

Wansfell-Nanny La-Troutbeck-Robin La-Skelghyl Wds is beautiful wth fab views

Fairfield horseshoe?

cheers for replies, thought about fairfield/rydal round and 3 shires but dont want to have to drive anywhere as will have to be up early for whatevers planned, its a friends birthday weekend so fell running for most wont be on the agenda. May try one of these before head home on the sun afternoon though.

derby tup, did you mean starting off and finishing by coming through woods, up to wansfell, nanny lane, troutbeck, robin lane and back? to looks like a good route and not too much road which is never a bad thing

according to os maps theres 2 route choices when on top of wansfell E to nanny lane and NE to baystones with hundreds on your right untill you come back down too nanny lane, thought it may be a bit longer??

Graeme

What about Loughrigg Fell and Rydal caves, Fairfield straight up the road, no need for driving, about a mile of road to the track through Rydal Mount.

The path to Baystones is further than you think, and from what I recall from malking there isn't particulalry good fun. Better I think to run up Wansfell, troutbeck, Nanny Lane etc as said above.

Super Moderator

Egor, after looking at map you're right and that's what I've done in past i.e clockwise n over Baystones. Loughrigg over to terrace and back thr' Rydal Pk other nice steady option espec if only have hour or so to spare.