Thread: Couch to 5K

Couch to 5K

Hello

I have just started running and was wondering if couch 25K was a good program to start with. heard a lot about it. It would be great if some could share their experience with couch to 5 K.

It worked well for a work colleague of mine, he did it over a year ago largely in the hotel gym. I eventually persuaded him to come for a run round Hyde Park and he never looked back. He was probably quicker than me but a bit less sure of pace over a longer distance. So, yes, it would seem like a good plan, he did give up drinking during the week though, not so sure about that bit.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

You would be much better off on the Running Bug site http://therunningbug.co.uk/default.aspx.

It's a lot more geared up for supporting new runners. Good luck with it.

I doubt you will have anyone on here that has any experience of it, other than perhaps a marshall or physio. If you are totally new to running then it's probably as sociable a way to get started as any if you join one of the groups.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Pinky_k View Post
    Hello

I have just started running and was wondering if couch 25K was a good program to start with. heard a lot about it. It would be great if some could share their experience with couch to 5 K.
    It looks sensible to me. Don't take this the wrong way, but if you are quite big there is nothing the program can do to offset or ameliorate joint complaints arising from impact on tarmac. If this is the case i'd run on grass and familiarise yourself with a forefoot strike running pattern.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Couch 2 5k is good, I started out that way a few year back.. Good to use to ease yourself in to running.

I personally started it quite strictly but started to personalise it after a few weeks. I would recommend not running on hard ground (roads) and don't be fooled by expensive gear. If your form and gait need correcting, sort it now with exercises and stretching (not shoes), because it will become a problem with higher volumes of running.

Don't get too worked up about miles, it's about time on feet that counts!

Not used it, but I've spoken to plenty that have.

All would recommend it. Although it's possible those it didn't work for just didn't want to talk about it.

Seems good though, from what I'm told.
    pies

My partner did the programme here: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

We stuck to it religiously, with me running alongside her all the way nagging her to keep the cadence up (which really stood her in good stead) and calling the timings. Some of the increments seemed quite daunting, but after she'd done them she could see that they were natural. The biggy is in week 5 - I'd really make sure you have someone with you for the first 20 minute run. The aim was to do a parkrun at the end of it, which she did really well in, quicker than expected. Also make sure you have plans for what to do after.