Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Weasdale horseshoe

On Sunday the long leg across the Howgills from CP 3 to 4 is the most likely place to go wrong, just got to link up the cols really (though I have seen some take on more climb). Try and drop as straight as possible down into valleys - not on a diagonal - as much as possible.
    Weasdale has a long XC-style run in I remember correctly - though did I read somewhere it's being run the other way this time due to change of start filed? Either way it'll be a long gentle run in

I'm planning to be there on Sunday - though I'll only be pairing it with a hangover and the FRA AGM on Saturday!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Clockwise at Weasdale on Saturday, whether that is different to usual i'm not sure (i don't think it is). But the run in does look speedy.

I think cp3-cp4 at Sedbergh looks straightforward enough in decent visibility, perhaps a different story in cloud. Thanks for the advice by the way ba-ba.

I think when Weasdale was a champs race we did Anticlock.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Not done Sedbergh Travs, but have done Weasdale 4 times I think. 1st time when it was English champs, then subsequently. I love it. It has always been anti clockwise before. Very featureless so can be difficult to get the right line even with little clag. Been very muddy on the run out and back before. Proper old-fashioned show. I'm doing Crowden Horseshoe on Sunday for the 1st time. Good luck.

Cheers Gaz, and good luck at Crowden.

Looking forward to the XC season resuming!

Really enjoyed this race today, in fact the entire day.

Part of a proper country show.... sheep/dog/vegetable/stick competitions. I was transfixed by the dry stone walling.

As for the race, it was clockwisewhich I understand is new, and a new run in/out to the Fell, extended it from 8.5 to around 10 miles.

The results will show that it seemed to suit me. Despite a fair amount of off-path running, nothing overly technical, and most of it runnable (if not always ran!).

A frantic start in the Show field, with runners hammering down the entrance driveway and then through the carpark, with runners flying in between the parked cars in a myriad of directions. I was probably about 15th on the cross-country section under the A-road and through the farms. Carl Bell already well out of sight already.

Hitting the Fell I knew I had to make the most of the climbing in the first half, and so it was that I moved into the top 10, a position I held until the final descent off Hooksey off to the right and back towards the flagged section. I took quite a poor line and when I got back on the racing line a couple of quick descenders swooped and flew past me, and there was a bit of a cavalry-charge building up behind.

But I'd worked hard and wasn't about to let them get away, and back on the very undulating final couple of miles I was determined not to ship all the places I'd made up in the climbs. Ran hard and kept up with the two speedy descenders, and on a substantial hill back up the farm road I managed to get back past them and put a few hundred yards between us. On the final xc type mile I was being chased hard by a red vest, but had a big enough gap to hold onto 9th place in about 1:32

Needless to say Carl Bell won, I think by about 12 or 13 minutes, in about 1:12

Personally it's another race where I'm incredibly pleased with my performance, although I do suspect I've pushed a bit hard with Sedbergh Hills coming up tomorrow.

Great race, well organised, low key, marshalls and mountain rescue fantastic, I'll be back without a doubt.

If the organiser reads this, he asked for opinions on the clockwise route.... well I've never done it anti-clockwise but I thought it was fine, the run off Hooksey being fantastic.
    Last edited by Travs; 18-08-2018 at 07:23 PM.