Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardrock 100

Hardrock 100

I noticed a while ago that Mark Hartell was on the entry list for this year's Hardrock 100.

(Allegedly) it makes Western States look like an easy day in the park.

Mark is finalising his preparations in and around Silverton.

http://markhartell.blogspot.com/

Here is another link, this time to the Hardrock race site:

http://www.hardrock100.com/

All the best to Mark for his final prep and on race day(s).

(The rest of his blog is an excellent read also.)

Morgan
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Re: Hardrock 100

Thanks Morgan. I've read of MH's earlier exploits over there (didn't he do all 4 big Hundreds in a season once?) but have never come across his blog before. I'm a bit confused by the statement "Over 90 of its miles are above the high point of Western States" given that there are several fourteeners in the Western States and the HR route only reaches 14000ft occasionally (once?). Doubtless I'm missing something.

Good Luck Mark, anyhow. Seriously tough race. Tougher than TMB by the sounds of it.

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    Thanks Morgan. I've read of MH's earlier exploits over there (didn't he do all 4 big Hundreds in a season once?) but have never come across his blog before. I'm a bit confused by the statement "Over 90 of its miles are above the high point of Western States" given that there are several fourteeners in the Western States and the HR route only reaches 14000ft occasionally (once?). Doubtless I'm missing something.

Good Luck Mark, anyhow. Seriously tough race. Tougher than TMB by the sounds of it.
    Yes, he did the Grand Slam. Not sure which other races this comprises along with Hardrock and WS. Leadville might be one of them?

I'll ask Helene when I see her, she'll know.

Not sure WS route goes that high Rob.

There may be a course map/details here:

http://www.ws100.com/home.html

And just for good measure, here is Krissy Moehl's write up of her WS 2009:

http://web.mac.com/krissymoehl/Kriss...ce_Report.html

Not a happy ending.

Super Moderator

According to Stan Jensen (p105) in Running Through The Wall, the Grand Slam was Old Dominion, Western States, Leadville and Wasatch. Since 1988 there's been a choice between Old Dom or Vermont. There's mention of The Last Great Race too: Old Dom, WS, Vermont, L'ville, Wasatch Front and Angeles Crest
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    According to Stan Jensen (p105) in Running Through The Wall, the Grand Slam was Old Dominion, Western States, Leadville and Wasatch. Since 1988 there's been a choice between Old Dom or Vermont. There's mention of The Last Great Race too: Old Dom, WS, Vermont, L'ville, Wasatch Front and Angeles Crest
    Hardrock must be deemed too hard then...........33,000 feet of ascent........

Not that much more than a BG.

Quote Originally Posted by BGSec View Post
    Not sure WS route goes that high Rob.

There may be a course map/details here:

http://www.ws100.com/home.html
    Ah, so Western States is a race. Knew I was missing something obvious . Not unreasonably, I had taken Western States as the (more interestingly) mountainous half of the US with lots of nice big baggable peaks. On this def, the WS include CO, compounding my confusion.

BTW I was interested to see that Mark has come across Gerry Roach, with whom I've done the odd bagging trip. V accomplished high-altitude mountaineer, although I know he runs too.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BGSec View Post
    Hardrock must be deemed too hard then...........33,000 feet of ascent........

Not that much more than a BG.
    Interesting article. Says cost of Grand Slam is likely to be cUSD 3-5K and presumably that's for US residents. Crux, apart from running 4 or 6 x 100milers between June and September, is gaining entry to WS
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Thanks DT.

There is always someone out there to illuminate my ignorance.

Wasn't Martyn Greaves the first UK runner to complete the US 'grand slam'? Way back in the past when he was at his best, he was a member of our local running club (Fittleworth Flyers), think he still is but I'm no longer down South, though he's still knocking off 100's every year. Perhaps I'll save the stories about Martyn for RobW this, or next, weekend .
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Perhaps I'll save the stories about Martyn for RobW this, or next, weekend .
    Next weekend Moley - I'll look forward to it