Thread: Waterproof gloves

Waterproof gloves

Can anyone recommend some waterproof gloves? I have some seal skins but the in liner does my head in as I can never get them on!

Quote Originally Posted by luxinterior View Post
    Can anyone recommend some waterproof gloves? I have some seal skins but the in liner does my head in as I can never get them on!
    Marigolds, cut off at the wrist. I put liner gloves inside for added warmth. Cheap as chips & foolproof.

One option would be something like some Extremities Tuff Bags, ie waterproof over mitts, with normal gloves underneath. It depends how much dexterity you need to retain with your gloves on.

Don't talk to me about waterproof gloves! Alright then here's my experience for what it's worth
    Sealskins are a waste of money for any pastime that is remotely active and in cold weather. I bought a pair and now use them only for gardening. When you are working hard and need to consult your map/compass have a pee etc and it's -15 in a blizzard, take off glove but you have hell of a job to get it back on cos of stupid glove lining - result = frost bite.
    Instead I've used a pair of those cheap plastic disposable gloves as a liner (poundshop - box of 25) inside of your favourite non waterproof gloves. The plastic glove is so thin that you don't need to take it off in order to maintain dexterity with fingers.

Banbury, Oxordshire (long way from mountains)
    1. Get a handful of those plastic gloves you get at petrol stations, put them on over your normal gloves... or
    2. The idea of waterproof gloves is difficult - that big hole in the top! Windchill is teh real killer. So for active wear ... Rab Vapour Rise seem pretty good. Quite dexterous, windproof and breathable and dry exceedingly quickly.

Banbury, Oxordshire (long way from mountains)
    1. Get a handful of those plastic gloves you get at petrol stations, put them on over your normal gloves... or
    2. The idea of waterproof gloves is difficult - that big hole in the top! Windchill is teh real killer. So for active wear ... Rab Vapour Rise seem pretty good. Quite dexterous, windproof and breathable and dry exceedingly quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by luxinterior View Post
    Liner gloves inside some mitts are the way to go. mitts are easier/cheaper to waterproof--less seams.
    they are easier to take on and off and are much more efficient at keeping your hands warm..

Buffalo mitts are superb

Neoprene. Go to a dinghy sailing chandlers or a diving shop (or online)
    The Gill 3 seasons are good when it's really bad (snow) and are excellent for winter bike commuting too
    For less extreme conditions, I have some 2mm Ti-backed neoprene liner gloves (from Rooster Sailing) which weigh nothing, take up minimal space, are easy to get on when wet, are totally windproof and are really warm.
    the only problem with neoprene is sweat, but better that than cold hands.