Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Intercounties Fell 2015

Funny how there is no mention of the word "fell" on here.

http://www.britishathletics.org.uk/c...ing-challenge/

What's in a name? that which we call a rose

By any other name would smell as sweet
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post

What's in a name? that which we call a rose

By any other name would smell as sweet
    you beat me to it
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Well Richard, being just behind me is still a pretty good place to be!

Surely the results from the last few years speak louder than any comments on here.

No Jebb, No Holmes, Hope and Bailey now and again and the race winners have won more road and XC than Fell......

It's just another example that the wrong people are running sport, not just fell running, every sport.

Quote Originally Posted by multi coloured View Post
    It's just another example that the wrong people are running sport, not just fell running, every sport.
    I'll agree with you that the wrong people are running our sport ie those at UKA.

The Inters has a specific race spec though. It is not the British Champs and it is not the English Champs, it is not the Lakeland Classics Trophy.....

If anyone in Fell and Hill Running wants to establish a new Championship they can do that. So if Jebby (for example) would like to set up an annual UK Fell Running Champs with a race spec that was (for example):
    Has to be A Cat
    Has to be between 8 and 12 miles
    can not include any tarmac except where it links sections of the route or start/finish section.
    has to have elements of navigation and some technical sections as befits a traditional fell race.

then he would be able to do it.

It would run in to similar but different problems to the Inters. People will chose not to run in it because they have other priorities.

Somebody somewhere decided that the Champs currently in place were needed and established them. Why complain about something that works and ask for it to be changed? Why not just do something about setting up a race that fills the gap - if it is felt there is a gap.

I personally think there should be standalone short race champs and standalone Long Distance Champs - why isn't there?
    It hasn't evolved that way and no one has come forward to attempt to establish one. Maybe someone will in the future?
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Lakeland Classics Trophy?

Three words that epitomise everything that is good and noble and pure and unsullied about fellrunning.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Lakeland Classics Trophy?

Three words that epitomise everything that is good and noble and pure and unsullied about fellrunning.
    Am I missing something here.... as a newcomer to fell racing I was under the impression that the LCT was generally regarded as a good thing, as it supposedly keeps the classic fell races going... or am I being way too naïve?

Certainly as someone who will likely never even score a point in the English or UK champs, one of my aims would be to at least qualify for a placing on the Lakeland Classics scoreboard... especially as the 'classic' events are, for me, what it's all about...

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Am I missing something here....
    Yes - it is a good thing. They are all good things and the point I was making that someone, somewhere, sometime decided to set these good things up.
    If anyone wants something different, why not set it up? Rather than complaining about what has been set up already.
    A few years ago, Lauren Jeska felt there was a need for an U20 Champs to provide a link between Junior FRA and Senior English/British Champs - she set it up with the support of the FRA Junior co-ordinator.
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell