Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leg 2

Thanks for that. GPS watches are a bit beyond my budget (unless I've only been looking at the expensive £100+ ones) but will investigate further. Cheers.

If using waterproof paper, pencils are better than a pen ..... best carry a couple of spares, they needn't be full size.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

I remember this coming up in a thread a few years ago I think and someone recommended this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterproof-N...rproof+notepad

A cheap waterproof note book with enough pages to have one for each top and the leg start / stop times. Plenty of room to scrawl a time down on the move, works in the rain too.

I do this leg many times.
    I have a self laminated with the route on and pace notes etc. It has the eta at every top printer next to the summit.

on arrival at top check time against schedule, all you need to do is either ignore if on schedules or write 2 or -2 against time (If 2 minutes up or down)very quick and much easier to do.

also you might not be navigating but you'd be at least negligent to not have a map and double check his nav esp bearings off the tops in bad weather. Great Dodd, Fairfield and Seat Sandal

Spare hat/gloves and fleece in a dry bag and a bivvi, maybe a spare small head torch in case you drop one. if more than three of you consider a shelter.

New batteries in a quality head torch - you will quickly become a liability if your head torch fails.
    Keep out of the way of the BG contender - there is nothing more annoying than if someone keeps making you check your step!
    If you are knackered there are plenty of options to turn right and drop down to the road, if you know where you are up to on the map and make sure that people know you are dropping out or they might send someone looking for you.
    I assume you have got fell shoes - it's steep coming down to Grisedale tarn and you will slip if you don't have proper shoes.
    It's a long way up clough head, and you aren't at the top when you turn right.
    Make sure you don't take the path which veers off right after the top of Helvellyn.
    Dress up well!
    "Training is like fighting a gorilla - you don’t stop when you’re tired; you stop when the gorilla’s tired."