Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ingleton Scenery Race

Yep, great little blast through the glens. It felt harder than a cat 'C' race with much concentration required on the way back down those conctrete steps ~ yikes!
    A great turnout too ~ must have been around 100.
    See the light in the night

A few of us came down from Cockermouth for this. Was a great race, even if I did underestimate how many steps there would be. Slightly short from the advertised 5 miles, but fun nonetheless.

Did the race route follow the waterfall walk route exactly or was it extended up to the top of Twisleton Scar or even to Ewes Top? If they weren't included, maybe add them next time - they'd be a great little extension and also add in a funky little climb too

What a brilliant little race! Quite "novel" with all those steps and difficult to settle into a rhythm with lots of flattish paved sections interspersed with concrete steps. Flat sections good for runners faster on the flat, steps up good for strong climbers and steps down good for maverick descenders; something for everyone! Much tougher than the category implies. Hope it becomes a regular on the calendar.

Stolly, as far as I know it followed the waterfall route exactly. Going up Twistleton Scar would certainly add a sting in the tail!

Ingleton Scenery....hardest category CS race in the calendar?

Years ago we did the Ingleton falls walk and really enjoyed it, so much so that last night I talked my wife into entering her first fell race. Ingleton scenery fell race follows the exact same route as the iconic falls walk.

Alison said she'd definitely do the race as long as no kit would be required. Given the nature of the well marked route and recent weather I wasn't expecting any kit requirements and a quick word with Brett confirmed no kit was needed......Alison was getting nervous.

The start and finish is opposite the Ingleton falls car park cafe and the numbers are swelled significantly by a large turnout from Trawden AC.

Straight through the car park and Swilla Glen is entered with more underfoot obstacles encountered than I'd remembered....roots and little limestone rocks aplenty. We pass the 'money tree' and I'm taken aback with all the coins that decorate it....attaching a coin to the tree is good luck, a gift to the fairies...no time for leaving gifts tonight though, there's a race on.

Whenever a waterfall is encountered it's accompanied by steps and plenty of them. All the while I'm wondering how Alison is doing. I offered to run with her but she said I'd make her nervous and she preferred to plod around at her own pace without me 'mithering' her.

Once out of the woods we encounter open moorland and a well defined undulating path which leads to the biggest waterfall: Thornton Force. Whenever a bridge is crossed they're a pleasure to run over...the cheese grater like appearance of the bridges are surprisingly bouncy when running across.

Leaving the valley bottom behind we run uphill to Twisleton Lane and down towards Beezley farm, this being the fastest part of the course.

From the farm Beezley woods are entered and this section is my favourite part of the course. The stepped path follows the flow of the river whilst passing various little waterfalls. This path is a rollercoaster of steep steps that is tough but enjoyable in equal measures.

Once out of the woods, if the steps haven't took too much out of your legs, it's a fast last half mile or so back to the finish....first through the old limestone quarries and then the village bypassing the outdoor swimming pool.

At the finish you're handed a bottle of water, a mars bar and a bottle of beer....£3.00 all in, what a bargain....and the look on Alison's face after finishing her first fell race.....priceless.

Many thanks to Brett and all helpers.
    Last edited by Tindersticks; 02-06-2017 at 10:29 PM.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Good write up Darren.
    Never done the race but love the walk, done it quite a few times over the years with the family. Could imagine it been quite tricky in parts if youre racing it, especially on the wet rocks. Glad you're Mrs enjoyed her first fell race.

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzy42 View Post
    Good write up Darren.
    Never done the race but love the walk, done it quite a few times over the years with the family. Could imagine it been quite tricky in parts if youre racing it, especially on the wet rocks. Glad you're Mrs enjoyed her first fell race.
    Nice one Fozzy

Keep 'rocking' pal.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.