Thread: App *might* be useful

App *might* be useful

I recently had a heart attack (see below if you want the boring detail...) and I was out on my own yesterday when it struck me that my OH wouldn't know where I was if something recurred. I tell her where I'm going but I'm not sure she'd be confident in relaying information on. I thought it'd be good to be able to quickly text an OS grid ref which can be fwd'd to whoever might need it.

Looked to see if there 'was an app for that' and I've found one which will text an OS grid ref to a predefined (emergency) number, which is user-defined (ie a partner's mobile).

It seems accurate to within about 200 yards which, I suppose, is probably close enough.

Might be useful for someone (diabetics, epileptics, even asthma sufferers I suppose).

Don't know how effective it'll be in the back of beyond; I'll give it a go next time I'm out to see how it goes, I think it'll use the GPS to get an OS fix, but obviously can't send a text until it gets a signal.

It's called SF Text OS Grid Ref, found via Google Play Store. The SF seems to stand for Sorefoot Software who are the developers. Note, though, that I've no connection with the authors and it's not my fault if it doesn't work!!

Tony

---------------------------------
    Boring detail - have run for 30+ years, long fell, short fell, marathons etc. Woke up on hols in the Lakes 4 weeks ago, felt odd and then worse (I describe it as feeling like you're leaning the centre of your chest against a sharp object). Ambulance guys were at the campsite in about 6 or 7 mins (we were in Coniston) and confirmed I was having a heart attack. Spent about 4 days in hospital. Have had an angiogram which shows no disease so that's good (no need for stents etc). Having a heart MRI this afternoon to see if there are any structural problems but, hopefully, it'll just be 'one of those things'. Not yet running again until given the all clear to do so. End of boring detail.
    -------------------------------------
    The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak...

Tony Vardy

Had a quick look in the App store for those using iOS and there is an equivalent, which also seems pretty accurate (50 - 100m). Search for 'Grid Ref UK & Ireland'.

Doesn't appear to have functionality to message a pre-determined number but will allow you to tweet.

Agreed, could be v.useful if out and about and meet up with some mishap.

This could be a duplicate message, as I think I lost the last one.

It was the pre-population and sending of a txt msg I wanted - I have a couple of apps that'll give me a grid ref, but I didn't want to be trying to remember it in order to populate another app. Hadn't thought of tweeting, though.

t.

Tony Vardy

How about UEPPA which allows folk to track you? It's probably too power and data hungry though.

I use this real time tracker for android, it's very configurable in terms of sending data and getting a GPS intervals to save on battery. and free.

I have an app called OSGridreference...it also shows North. very accurate. this coupled with the 999 emergency text service which we should all install...Text "register" to 999 and follow instructions...

more importantly speedy recovery Fat Bloke!

Thanks Ian.

Tony Vardy

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    I have an app called OSGridreference...it also shows North. very accurate.
    I have this and it has a share function which automatically puts your current grid ref (or long/lat if you have it configured that way) into an email or text so all you need to do is enter the recipient(s). I find it great, no need to remember the GR which is a god send with my short term memory!