Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 7min mile pace to 5.5 mmp

7min mile pace to 5.5 mmp

I'm an average runner. I can churn out a 7 min road mile fairly comfortably over, say, 5 miles. If I run a faster tempo style pace I can maybe do 6min 50 secs (I do 95% of running on fells so don't know absolutely precise times). But I'm wondering if it is possible for the likes of me to be able to run a 5min 30 sec pace like the 'speedsters'? What would I have to do to achieve this? Or is there a limit to which a mortal can go? Has anyone ever trained so specifically and intensely that they have become significantly quicker and, more importantly, has this ability to run a fast min/mile pace on the road helped when on the fells? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
    I'm an average runner. I can churn out a 7 min road mile fairly comfortably over, say, 5 miles. If I run a faster tempo style pace I can maybe do 6min 50 secs (I do 95% of running on fells so don't know absolutely precise times). But I'm wondering if it is possible for the likes of me to be able to run a 5min 30 sec pace like the 'speedsters'? What would I have to do to achieve this? Or is there a limit to which a mortal can go? Has anyone ever trained so specifically and intensely that they have become significantly quicker and, more importantly, has this ability to run a fast min/mile pace on the road helped when on the fells? Thanks.
    You need Salazar to coach you....

I'm in a vaguely similar situation... due to location most of my running has been on the road, and based around preparing for kick boxing fights, so regular steady runs between 4-8 miles, and various sprint drills...

i knew I could do 10km in about 43-44 mins, but I registered for a road race and trained my arse off for 8 weeks, and came home in 39.47... so yes I do believe you can significantly improve with specific training... but obviously you reach a point of diminishing returns...

I do however believe you have to be 'born with it' to some extent though.... I'm pretty lean but still 13 stone and 6ft 2" so never going to be doing a 10km in less than 37 mins.... especially now I am looking towards training for longer 'classic' fell races...

Quote Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
    I've recently been training to run faster by er ... running faster. It is that simple(although strength ,weights, probably helps too). Quick intense efforts with recovery, plus longer tempo with recovery works well. No magic to it, just hard work. I use Strava segments as motivation. Being able to run faster in training helps with all types of running and distances in my experience. The comfort level just increases, and technique improves.

I know that it's a bit of a stupid question I asked. I guess I'm just curious as to whether anyone has significantly upped their pace by doing the type of training you mention. And by this I mean going a min or 2 quicker per mile. I had a semi-bash at improving my running speed a year or so back and it did pay off but only around 15sec per minute mile.

The first 10k I did was around 51 mins and a couple of years later I brought it down to around 36mins, where it has more or less stayed. I suspect I could go faster than that too but I don't really train for it properly. When I was in good shape last year I ran a 5k PB of 16:41 which is around 5:20 pace. I'm nowhere near that sort of shape now but it does show you can train yourself to improve quite substantially if you get it right. For me that means, diet, sleep, stress, and training all ticking over sustainably to get those sort of results. Which is why I can't manage to be consistent, it's too much hard work!

Another even better example would be our very own forumite Dazh (rest his soul) who went from being an average runner to being a top class runner in a relatively short space of time by dialling his training in and working hard.
    Last edited by Rob Furness; 12-06-2015 at 11:16 PM.
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

I started off at 54 mins for 10k (Feb last year) and I'm now at 44 mins along with 5k going from around 25/26 mins to now being at 20:55. I only ran 10-15 miles a week (at the most) until January because I played football all the time but now I average around 40 miles a week and don't play football anymore.

So I guess if you train enough you can bring down your times but there will be a point when you get stuck at the same times I imagine...I've read from various sources that each pound of body weight taken off will reduce times by 2 seconds per mile - obviously that all varies from your height and muscle/body fat ratio and loads of other things but from numerous things I've read I'm 2 stone over the weight I should be for a 6 ft 1 runner so I imagine if I lost the 2 stone (can't imagine what I'd look like?!) my times would significantly come down but not sure about my muscle mass/strength along with that?
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

Super Moderator
    Poacher turned game-keeper

What's your weekly mileage? Do you do any sprint work currently? How skinny are you? How old are you? How long have you been running?

Super Moderator
    The photos on here compared with the profile shot at the top say a lot
    Poacher turned game-keeper