Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping Mat

Sleeping Mat

Hi All,

My current light weight set up for MM's consists of 2 duo mats and a Cumulus Quantum 200 sleeping bag.

I'm happy with the bag but not the mats.

So I've looked at some alternatives and would appreciate any input or other suggestions.

1, Klymit Inertia X Frame: Does the system work in keeping you warm?
    2, Thermarest Neoair xLite: Heavier
    3, Klymit Inertia x Frame short: Will my feet be cold!?
    4, BalloonBed: Will I go pop

Can I have your thoughts and experiences please?

Neo air is fab, much more comfortable than anything else I have used and also given the depth good insulation in winter. I sold my duo mat as it was heavy, thin, uncomfy...

Hi adders

The Klymit X Frame is light and compact. But personally I don't like it. The cut outs mean that more weight is on fewer tubes and I find this uncomfortable when somewhat achy after a long run. I have used it under another thermorest for extra padding...but rather defeats the purpose! It is also 3 times heavier than the balloon bed. Puffing up the balloons is a faff but for weight (and reasonable comfort) balloon bed can't be beaten. No problem for me with popping but it's worth getting fresh supplies of balloons as they do seem to deteriorate with storage.

You don't say why you're not happy with your current mat?

What are you looking for? Less weight? Smaller pack size? More comfort?

I use part of a foil car windscreen protector, weighs next to nothing, doesn't take up much room in my pack, covers a good portion of the groundsheet in the tent, foil backing provides plenty of protection from cold ground. I guess this would be a similar solution to the duomats though.

I've used the balloon bed a couple of times but as someone who suffers from cold hands it's now too much faff for me to justify it on a MM. Plus the chances of either a 'pop' or some level of deflation through the night means I can't really see the value above my current set-up.

At the end of the day I just want to throw my tent up, get kit sorted out as quickly as possible and then jump into bed and get the brews on.

https://www.alpkit.com/products/numo cheap, packs down well and comfy.

Or a cut down Karrimat folded

I sleep on the first new air (long) during family camping trips and mm. Does both fine.
    I did go for the balloon bed at last year's Arab and it was also great, but wouldn't want to spend too long on it. Was planning on using the Neo air for the OMM until my partner dropped out, bit more comfort for longer in the tent, and I'd be moving slower and carrying less kit as a pair.

Bubblewrap. You're not meant to be comfy on an MM
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Hi All,

Thank you for your replys.

The reason I'm not happy with the duo mat is that I just cant sleep on it.
    I need a little more comfort but I want to keep the same amount on insulation I have for around 350gr in weight.

Numo looks interesting but does it offer any form of insulation? Is the idea for the down on the bottom of the bag to loft in the grooves?

No insulation in the numo sorry.