Thread: Campervan forfell races

Campervan forfell races

Hi

I'm thinking of getting a camper van. It will have to be my main vehicle (although my wife will have a car as well).

I have seen lots of vans at fell races and was just wondering if anyone has any advice.

My preference, at the moment, would be to get something a bit bigger than the typical VW Transporter size. Perhaps a MWB Ducato, with a high top, so I can walk around.

If anyone has anything like this, could you tell me how you get on with them? Can you always get in and out of parking fields? What you might do differently next time you buy a van?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Lecky

Our last two vans have been self converted Renault Masters, LWW, high roof. initially this was so we could fit 4 of us in. Now almost the same layout is palatial for two of us. We have spent weeks in it at a time in all sorts of weather, including ski trips. It just fits through most Lake District gateways ( especially if my husband is driving not me). last one did 250,000 miles before it died. It is front wheel drive so more height kept. Wide enough to have permanent bed across the back, just. Come and see us if you at the SLMM etc

W e have had some issues with parking fields despite carrying mats and snow chains. best item was the ebespacer diesel heater. Plus we have a solar panel as we rarely use campsites except over the winter in ski resorts

whatever you go for, have it checked out by a qualified van-checking-type-geezer.
    Even the "professional" conversions can be hiding many nasties....ask me how I know :P
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Master
    I know it is not your preferred choice but for the last 6 or 7 years I have used a VW T3 AS High top conversion, I had it converted to run on LPG (currently 58p a litre), I have also retained my vans ability to run on petrol so it is effectively a dual fuel vehicle, never had any access issues, no problem on single track roads, I have lowered it which means it is very stable in high winds , plus the lower height is a boon when getting into the van after running/shuffling a 100 mile ultra .

I should mention my van is 25+ years old but I have the skills and knowledge to maintain it, as to what I would do different if I was to replace it my answer is I have no intention of replacing it in the foreseeable future after all why would I replace what for me is the ideal camper van which is an appreciating asset with something else.

Good luck with your quest
    The older I get the Faster I was

Yes, agree , seen some awful yet prof conversions. it's one of the reasons we did our own. we also knew what we wanted - no cupboards, no shower ( except one we hang in the outside) , because we lagged it we know it is super winterised and 3 weeks skiing is no issue. no cupboards because everything goes in and out in big plastic boxes which is so much easier and they don't rattle so much as cupboard doors.

Master
    Yep our stuff goes into plastic boxes except for food that is either in the fridge or in metal baskets that go on rails (3 deep) so that they slide from side to side to side thus allowing access to the lower baskets without the need to remove them, they are locked into place when traveling and the cupboard is horizontal and the weight of the lid prevents any rattling.

We also use the van all year round and temps down to minus 20 have been no issue for us
    We have also tinted the rear windows this aids privacy and helps keep the van cooler
    The older I get the Faster I was

How wide is your driveway?
    I fancied a Ducato but having spent a few days with my mate on Jura (2013) in one of his T5 conversions ( nothing plush, just the basics that an outdoors person requires ) and been very impressed, I went down that route.
    Our driveway up the side of the house ( wife's car needs to be at the front of the driveway ) is just over 8 feet wide and the T5 just fits - have to enter & exit via the sliding door ).
    A Ducato would have been a no-no ( about 7 inches wider than the T5 ) .... an expensive mistake!
    www.errigalcampers.ie
    Ian Roberts, Bowland FR.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

We've a vw t5 with no lifting roof and the usual sink and gas rings with cupboards and bed. Suits us fine, but we can get our kit into a 30 litre bag each plus daysacs for two weeks or extended trips. Whatever van you think will like, look to see if there is one converted available to hire for a few days. Better to discover that it really isn't for you or the other half before you buy. Talking to folks at races is a great way to get an honest opinion about van set ups, but don't forget what works for one will be detested by another!

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Got a Nissan nv200 conversion. Not very big but has a pop up top so can stand up easily. If you are using it regularly then economy will be an issue. I get about 40mpg out of it on average -around town and going to races etc. I doubt many other vans will get near that if you are thinking of using it as your main vehicle too.
    It's surprisingly tardis like on the inside and can cram enough in for 2 and the dog for a couple of weeks comfortably. External dimensions are also favourable and narrow lanes and gate posts etc have yet to a problem. It's not much wider than the Honda jazz we used to have!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast