Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mizuno Harrier Replacemnt

Master
    New Mudclaw 300s - red and blue - wider in the forefoot than the previous model, softer, and a tiny bit longer; heel is flat rather than rounded. Two arrows, as before, so a 6mm drop. There was talk of the arrows being revalued to 4mm, but this does not seem to have happened. I will try them out this evening.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    New Mudclaw 300s - red and blue - wider in the forefoot than the previous model, softer, and a tiny bit longer; heel is flat rather than rounded. Two arrows, as before, so a 6mm drop. There was talk of the arrows being revalued to 4mm, but this does not seem to have happened. I will try them out this evening.
    Not as wide in the forefoot as the Mizuno Wave Harriers, unfortunately, but better than the old (yellow) 300s. Interestingly, they only weigh 258 gms.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Not as wide in the forefoot as the Mizuno Wave Harriers, unfortunately, but better than the old (yellow) 300s. Interestingly, they only weigh 258 gms.
    I've been looking for replacement for the Harriers for a while. I had quite a few pairs and then with a new pair just didn't get on with them. I still wanted a shoe that would be OK for running round the SW Pennine Moors, so moorland, tracks, more manicured paths and inevitably road. The downside to the Harrier was the Bambi like effect they had when you hit wet tarmac or pavement!

After a lot of looking around, I've gone a bit left-field and opted for a pair of North Face Ultra MT. I've only been out once (promptly succumbing to some flu-like lurgy) in very wet conditions and I've got to say I was pretty impressed. Comfortable, enough room in the toe box and pretty bomb-proof construction it seems to me, oh and lots of grip. You could probably get away with a bit of road too. I'd be happy using them in the lakes too. They look a lot like Salomons

The only downside is probably the weight - they come in at about 290g but should last. Heavier than I would normally like but I'm happy to trade off some weight for longevity.

With another thread in mind, I should say that I picked these up for £66. First pair of shoes that I've bought that I've spent over £50 on for a long while...but I did try them on...at a shop, which hasn't been the case in the recent past.

My last pair of Harriers are nearing end of life and I was thinking of going for the Hayate. Has anyone actually tried them yet? I really like the wide toebox of the Harrier so I was hoping these would be in some way similar!

decided to boycott Mizuno on principle

was in Keswick today, so...
    ...obviously went in to New Balance shop
    tried on a pair of MT110's and they felt brill - not sure how durable they will be, and it was the horrific blue/green/orange colour scheme, but very comfy, lightweight, flexible... promising!
    AND they were on sale for £38.50 with a general 20% off everything, so coming out at £30.80(!)
    SOLD!
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar
    Has anyone got experience of Asics Gel FujiRunnegade? Saw some in a shop today & they looked very useful.

Bought a pair of Mizuno Kazan a few weeks ago. First impressions were that they're much more cushioned than Harriers with what looks like a 10mm heel to toe drop. Very comfortable, not as grippy, hopeless in mud but surprisingly good on rocky tracks. I wouldn't put them in the same category as Harriers which, for me, we're a great fell/ trail shoe. These are more like road/ trail shoes, but very good ones. My 11.5s weigh just under 300g which is about 80g lighter than my Cascadias.
    Paid £50 for them so money well spent.
    Neil

SOUnd like a good option for trail bashing. In my experience harriers could take a bit of terrain but were hopeless on anything with a bit of camber.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

I replaced my worn out harriers with La Sportiva Mutants. Yes they are quite stiff and heavy, but as a workhouse fell training shoe they are very comfortable, however the strange wraparound tongue closure can press on the front of the foot a bit. Grip is better, although still not a Mudclaw. They were dirt cheap from PB's as well. Think I'll go for the Anakonda's when these need replacing.

Also have a pair of the NB Minimus for fell training - they're good although I have an achilles issue at the minute and always found that these caused the achilles to flair up a bit as they're a zero drop shoe.