Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mizuno Harrier Replacemnt

I've gone from Wave Harrier to New Balance Minimus Zero Trail, which are excellent. I also like Brooks Cascadia for dry trails - I wouldn't wear them for fell races though. I thought the Wave Hayate 2 would have been the obvious replacement, but they didn't look up to much when I was buying new shoes a couple of weeks back for my return to fell racing.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by DazTheSlug View Post
    what I liked about the Harriers was that they were flexible/nimble - good for "tippy-toeing" on technical ground

I get on well with Inov8 for other types of running (Mudrocs and Roclite 315 - both also discontinued!) so am leaning towards one of the lighter models of Roclite or Trailroc
    Have a look at the 295s - they're more flexible than the mudrocs, not as structured as the 315s but with the same sole. Not got any myself at the moment (even though I have more shoes than Imelda Marcos!) but the old grey/green ones felt very similar to the harriers.
    I've got the trailroc 255s and find them quite 'clumpy' for want of a better word. Will not be renewing those when they wear out.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

I am a big fan of the Harrier and am sad to see that such a good shoe has been discontinued. I love them so much I'm still squeezing out the last few miles out of my current pair however I have a pair of the Kazan as replacements but I have yet to properly test them out.

Have bought a pair of Montrail Bajadas at <£30 as my next replacement for the Harrier, and will advise on suitability at some future point. Reviewers who've completed events such as the Western States in them speak glowingly, though there appear to be question marks over durability.
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar
    Swaledale Pete, get them on & get out there ffs. People need to know how they compare.

I found a pair of NB 101's boxed up in the garage the other day & gave them a try. Found the tread too delicate & the fitting a bit wide.

The forum must continue until we find a suitable replacement.
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

Long term Mizuno Wave Ascend wearer which I thought were as comfy as a pair of slippers - which they also discontinued.

I bought a pair of Kazans which are in my limited use seem to be comparable in terms of grip, cushioning and comfort. But not quite as good.

Allegedly, New Balance are going to re-release the MT101's as part of some sort of classics range but maybe just in the States. If they are made for release there they will have the American sole which would be useless for fell running - some sort of shallow 3 pointed polygonal affair with ridges at the back. The diamond pattern sole on the European model is much more suited to our needs but the rubber compund is lethal on wet rock, concrete an tarmac.

Quote Originally Posted by kennedr View Post
    I bought a pair of Kazans which are in my limited use seem to be comparable in terms of grip, cushioning and comfort. But not quite as good.
    not quite as good in what way? the heel looks a bit "blocky" to me
    sportsshoes 15% off code expires at midnight so need to know quick!
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

I'm still eking out my current pair though I did have problems with them the first month or so- stitching over toes gave terrible rubbing and bleeding. Not sure what model they are- blue and yellow.
    ive tried fellraisers- too narrow and cascadias- very comfy and good for dry stuff but rubbish in wet.Currently using Roclite 295s which I can't really fault. If it's proper hill/fell stuff I'll use mudclaws.
    Neil

Daz apologies for the overdue response. Did you grab the mettle and purchase a pair?

I think the Kazan feels less robust and the internal cushioning not as luxurious as the Wave Ascends which were supremely comfortable in my opinion. The grip design is also radically different, theyve introduced a sort of circular network of small grips which contrasts with the more linear traditional design of the Ascends. The heel doesnt feel particularly blocky but I'll look out for it next time I use them. It offers a decent amount of cushioning which might account for this appearance and is more of a trail shoe than fell shoe.

Hope this helps.