Thread: 2015 Junior Do,Rossendale

2015 Junior Do,Rossendale

FRA Junior Do, Marl Pits, Rossendale
    Saturday 18th July 2015

For this years Junior Do we will once again be guests of Rossendale Harriers at Marl Pitts, Rossendale (BB4 7SN) from 10:00 to 14:15.

As previous years, the format will take the form of a training camp during which runners are;
    • encouraged to get to know each other better
    • experience working with different coaches
    • have input on training techniques to help develop skills & prevent injury
    • have a presentation from one of the Worlds best female mountain runners
    learn & refine essential navigational skills from GB coaches
    • help review this years series and add thoughts for future races
    • receive the awards for this years series winners
    • Have an enjoyable, stimulating, fun day

This camp is open to all juniors who have taken part in this year’s series. Parents & coaches who wish to help out with groups are welcome to do so.

Agenda

09:50 - Arrive, tea/coffee, drinks

10:00 - Introduction, split into groups (in age category) each age group allocated a coach. Hoodies & Tshirts for successful completions of 4 & 6 Championship races available.

10:15 - Training session (outside or in gym)

11:00 - My story – Emma Clayton
    In 2004 Emma was 10th U16 girl in the FRA Championships. In 2005 Emma moved to 2nd in the FRA U18 Championships, as she was in 2006.
    In 2013 Emma won both the individual and team silver medals at the World Mountain Running Championships in Poland as well as other European & World Championship medals and impressive National cross country results.

Emma will chat about that journey. Her days as a junior, her favourite races, her ups & downs, her transition to senior running, tips for young runners & those aspiring to do more and what she enjoys about training & racing in the mountains.

11:30 – Orienteering, GB Performance Director Jackie Newton

12:45 – Lunch (Free, provided courtesy of FRA)

1:15 – Review of 2015 season & feedback. 2016 races A chance for juniors, coaches & parents to feedback on the series plus a sneak preview of next year’s series.

1:45 - FRA 2015 Junior English Championship Awards.
    Trophies & medals for all age group winners & Club Championships

2:15 - Close, depart.

Let me know if you would like to come along so I can gauge numbers for food.

Cheers
    duncan
    Last edited by Duncan R; 24-06-2015 at 06:19 PM. Reason: update
    "You have brains in your head, your feet in your shoes, you can steer yourself in any direction you choose". Dr Seuss.

If you are eligible for an award (FRA member and have completed at least 4 races), then the last date for placing an order for delivery to the 'Do' is noon on Monday 29th June. So, you really need to order this weekend - 27th/28th June.
    The final date for deliveries to home is noon on Tuesday 18th August. After this date it will not be possible to place an order.
    Orders can be placed from here; choose the 'Awards' menu tab, and follow the instructions.
    Going downhill fast - until I fell over

We are looking forward to once again welcoming everyone to the FRA Junior day at Marl Pits in Rossendale the home of Rossendale Harriers. If previous years are anything to go by it will be a great day for everyone to enjoy. The weather has been ordered so we hope to see everyone on the 18th.
    Graham Wright
    Chairman
    Rossendale Harriers.

Master
    Oops, missed this - my fault - but very little publicity ....

The event is in the FRA Handbook, and has been on the felljunior website since the start of the year.
    Notices have been posted on the FRA and felljunior websites, and here in the last few weeks.
    What more can be done?
    Going downhill fast - until I fell over

Quote Originally Posted by FellJunior View Post
    The event is in the FRA Handbook, and has been on the felljunior website since the start of the year.
    Notices have been posted on the FRA and felljunior websites, and here in the last few weeks.
    What more can be done?
    A facebook page
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Master
    A reminder Email to the clubs/coaches 3 weeks or so before the event? I am afraid that at my stage in life I need reminders.

A great day for everyone concerned and for everyone who attended. A massive increase in numbers from previous years reflecting the current state of junior fell running and the Junior Championships and the work and commitment put in by the outgoing Junior Coordinator Duncan Richards. Not a murmur from anyone as Emma Clayton recounted her life as Junior Fellrunner and latterly as one of the worlds best Mountain runners.Her inpirational talk was accompanied by photos and videos and at the end she answered some intetesting questions from the attentive juniors. The Orienteering session was well recieved and enjoyed by everyone as was the buffet lunch courtesy of the Fellrunners association.
    Great to see most of the award winners there to recieve their awards from Emma and have their photo taken with her. The races have already been chosen for next year and they were revealed to everyone on the day.
    Well done and thanks to Duncan who is leaving Junior Fellrunning and the Junior Championship in a great place and good luck to Owen for the future.
    A big thank you also to Jim at Felljunior for all of his work in compiling results, stats etc and lots of other unseen work behind the scenes.Happy days.
    Last edited by Lefty; 19-07-2015 at 10:28 AM.

Huge thanks to Leftie & Rossendale Harriers for hosting the junior do so well. The facilities are superb and with Leftie, Val & other Rossendale volunteers support, helped ensure the day was so successful
    Big thank you to Emma Clayton also, some fantastic memories & messages for the juniors to hear. One of my favourites was a quote of her partner to Emma after 'only' coming sixth in an International race - "Never put yourself in a position again where you are unhappy with your performance".

Thanks to all the coaches who lead the age group training sessions, there was loads of energy & laughter to kick off the day, Jackie Newton & her orienteering coaches for a fantastic introduction to racing with a map & compass, they all loved that.
    As ever, Jim Godwin (aka felljunior) was there continuing his selfless and so important support for juniors, also Colin Driver, who also significantly supports the junior Championships in his understated way.

Best of luck to Owen Mills who is taking the role now, he's a star & I know he'll do such a good job taking juniors on. Been a great year for Keighley & Craven all round!

And a big Thank You to all ROs, parents, coaches, FRA committee members and clubs who have given so much time, effort & energy in making the junior champs such an exciting, fun & successful experience.
    But mostly, Thank You to all the juniors themselves, whose determination, courage and smiling faces make it all so worthwhile.
    Well done all, for getting on that start line & giving it a bash That's really winning...
    Cheers
    Duncan
    "You have brains in your head, your feet in your shoes, you can steer yourself in any direction you choose". Dr Seuss.