Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: The Frog Graham

Super Moderator
    I suspect you could more or less walk round in 24 hrs Simon. If you can use water wings then poles shouldn't be a problem and in my experience they help with knees, especially downhill

If / when I do it I wont be dashing round but intend to treat it as a grand day out with friends
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    ^ Martyn thanks for clarification re buoyancy aids. As a swimmer who doesn't particularly like swimming this opens up a whole new world for me

One of the many interesting / attractive aspects of the Frog is its relaxed approach to "rules" but focus on safety. Which is obviously not a pop at the BG club on my part

About time I got off my fat lazy arse
    Truth be told, this doesn't really gain you much. A proper swim-specific wetsuit already gives a lot of buoyancy, so unless you really do have massive problems in the water you shouldn't need much more. The inflatable tow bags (i.e. Swim Secure etc) serve as an emergency aid should it be needed.

Peter is very keen that the FGR is as accessible as it can be, hence the fairly liberal interpretation, something I totally agree with. It's what makes the FGR an attractive proposition - if you want to do a totally solo round, no wetsuit and no support, that's up to you. Conversely, for those who want a bit of company on the fell and want to be met with a cuppa at road crossings, well, the FGR accommodates that too.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Just a quick update for you all on how things stand with the FGR and the forthcoming season:

1. The website has been updated to reflect putting the FGR club onto a slightly more substantive basis, also a little bit more rigour in the ratification process. A few other minor updates as regards safety etc. http://www.froggrahamround.co.uk/

2. Peter Hayes (the founder of the FGR) has just released the second edition of his book "Swimhiking in the Lake District and NE England", this includes an update on the section devoted to the FGR. Well worth a read, Peter writes with a dry humour and it's highly enjoyable. I think Foyles have it on order.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martyn P View Post

Peter writes with a dry humour.
    Not so dry when he invented the Frog Graham though!

Quote Originally Posted by Corniceman View Post
    Not so dry when he invented the Frog Graham though!
    You'd think I'd have spotted the potential for that little chuckle wouldn't you? Fail.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

On Sat 6 Oct at 3pm (Riverside Inn Ilkley) Peter Hayes who devised the Frog Graham Round is giving a talk about it. He gave a similar talk a few years ago (which started in the river Wharfe before decamping to the pub) which was hugely popular. It was punctuated by jokes, funny anecdotes and cartoons. Anyone who has read Peter’s book Swimhiking in the Lake District and NE England and/or received one of his Frog Graham certificates will know his sense of humour. The event is free and sure to be entertaining. Please come along and spread the word!
    Link below:
    http://www.ilkleyliteraturefestival....-in-the-wharfe

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkley Swimmer View Post
    On Sat 6 Oct at 3pm (Riverside Inn Ilkley) Peter Hayes who devised the Frog Graham Round is giving a talk about it. He gave a similar talk a few years ago (which started in the river Wharfe before decamping to the pub) which was hugely popular. It was punctuated by jokes, funny anecdotes and cartoons. Anyone who has read Peter’s book Swimhiking in the Lake District and NE England and/or received one of his Frog Graham certificates will know his sense of humour. The event is free and sure to be entertaining. Please come along and spread the word!
    Link below:
    http://www.ilkleyliteraturefestival....-in-the-wharfe
    I'll be there, looking forward to it. I get a brief mention in his latest book so I feel the need to buy him beer.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn P View Post
    I'll be there, looking forward to it. I get a brief mention in his latest book so I feel the need to buy him beer.
    After handing out publicity leaflets for Swimhiking in the Wharfe he presented a copy of his book to the last finisher in the Ilkley Incline last evening.

Sometimes I wish I could run even slower!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Super Moderator
    Anyone go to the Frog do at the Riverside? I thought it was tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Anyone go to the Frog do at the Riverside? I thought it was tomorrow
    Yes I went- fascinating