Thread: Junior Relay? Saddleworth

Junior Relay? Saddleworth

Two years ago we ran a junior relay at Saddleworth before the Saddleworth Edges Fell race.
    It was part of the Grand-Prix series That year.

The relay was aimed at 8-14 years. 5 runners per team.
    two (loops) courses one for under 10s and one for over 10's.

Would there be any interest in our club putting this event on again this year?
    We are looking to interest and involve our younger runners who have been on the track during the summer into fell running. It would be great to have teams from other clubs to race against.

This year the edges race is on 3rd Oct 2015 at 12:00 so we would run a junior event at 10:00am.
    Any thoughts from other junior leaders?

Master
    Are the teams mixed gender and mixed age groups? I am sure we could get a U14 team together from Notts AC but with a mix of boys and girls?

I am going to email clubs (mainly) within an hours drive of us gauge the interest (and any considerations as to classifications etc) and come up with a format which I'll post on here.

Quote Originally Posted by irontongue View Post
    Two years ago we ran a junior relay at Saddleworth before the Saddleworth Edges Fell race.
    It was part of the Grand-Prix series That year.

The relay was aimed at 8-14 years. 5 runners per team.
    two (loops) courses one for under 10s and one for over 10's.

Would there be any interest in our club putting this event on again this year?
    We are looking to interest and involve our younger runners who have been on the track during the summer into fell running. It would be great to have teams from other clubs to race against.

This year the edges race is on 3rd Oct 2015 at 12:00 so we would run a junior event at 10:00am.
    Any thoughts from other junior leaders?
    quite a few clubs might struggle for 5, whilst others might come mob-handed. I'd consider 3 per team - it tends to work well for juniors in particular.
    It's a busy time of year for junior endurance runners though with County and Area road relays as well as English Schools Fell the week before and cross country leagues kicking off with their first fixture, so you may be limited to fell only clubs.
    Just a few things to bear in mind.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Thanks for that. I'll get my thinking hat on and start emailing potential clubs.
    the 3 idea is good. Still get the team factor but its easier to get a'team' together.

Pretty sure CVFR would be up for a team or two when full details emerge
    "Moors are a stage for the performance of heaven"

If it doesn't clash with the Northern Cross Country Relays, then Holmfirth should be able to get a team or 2 over the hill!
    Ian Roberts Fell Race. Dare you take on the Marsden Moor Tussocks? There's cake in it for you

Brilliant. I have had a chat with Duncan about it and raised it at our members meeting. The club are happy to support. I just need permissions now and to work on format and logistics before finally getting invites out. Thanks for any support