Thread: Charmouth Challenge

Charmouth Challenge

Apologies if a thread already exists for this race but I can't find one.

We're coming to the end of what's been a brilliant fortnight travelling around the south west coastline in the camper. I'd planned on doing this race to my wife's astonishment...."well there's a surprise, you've found a race even when we're on holiday, typical".

The race was really well attended with approx 250 runners. The local Town crier did his oh yeah, oh yeah... which everyone shouted back at him. He then gave a speech, rang his bell and we're off.

Fast start through the village then a mile slog up a very steep country lane. It was such a relief when we approached the coastal path and its amazing views of the Jurassic coastline. Coupled this with a delightful sea breeze and I was a 'happy chappie'.

The route is undulating taking in meadows, quiet lanes and coastal paths. At 8 miles and 2000ft, in scorching weather, it's a proper good energy sapper. The terrain is not technically difficult but the race is hard. So glad the weather was clear and the views could be appreciated...especially the eroded cliff edges, always beneficial to spot these.

No problems with route choice, really well marked and plenty of friendly marshals. I counted 3 water stations which were a blessing.

After the race on crossing the finish line the Fire brigade were hosing down over heated runners....lovely.

Many thanks to all involved, really enjoyable day.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
    After the race on crossing the finish line the Fire brigade were hosing down over heated runners....lovely.
    Sounds like a great event, havent done any down that neck of the woods but sounded like my sort of race. I particularly like the idea of the fire brigade hosing everyone down at the finish, can we book them for Wasdale next weekend
    Last edited by Fozzy42; 05-07-2015 at 08:50 AM.

Hi Fozzy

I did Exe to Axe earlier in the year, it's also along the Jurassic Coast. Plenty ups and downs clocking in at over 20 miles.

If you see me at Wasdale please pop over for a chat.

Will do!

Hi Fozzy

I did Exe to Axe earlier in the year, it's also along the Jurassic Coast. Plenty ups and downs clocking in at over 20 miles.

Did the Beer Blazer down there last year! Lots of up and down the cliffs. And the Imerys Trail Half Marathon at St Austell in Cornwall was like running on the moon - all around the china clay pits which are usually off limits to the public - that was hard work on a very hot day with the sun reflecting off the white stuff. Have also done FRA registered fell races on Dartmoor and Exmoor in the past. I think it's great fun running when you're not up against the usual suspects.

I also 'enjoyed' Charmouth on Saturday. A surprisingly tough race - all very runnable and tempting to start a bit too quick.

It's been good to see a few more fell races popping up in the South West over the past few years, such that the Charmouth Challenge's claim to be 'the most southerly fell race in England' is now a bit dubious. If you're on holiday down here, do check the FRA fixtures calendar before you leave. There's some course records for the taking if you're quick...

JamieP

Are you the young guy that won?

If so, well done...it must of been pretty lonely up there on your own for most of the race.

Them records may just be yours for the taking.

Yeah that was me, thanks!

Was actually nice to be on my own for a change, and not have someone else's backside getting in the way of the view.

Hi Fozzy
    Darren did you get yourself to Wasdale? Never saw ya.

Hi fozzy

Unfortunately summat cropped up at work and I couldn't make it. Would of liked to have made it 5 wasdale's in a row, oh well mustn't grumble.

Well done mate, I've read your race post... sounds like you had a hard but rewarding day...nice one.

Take care.