Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardest UK fell race....?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hardest UK fell race....?

I sincerely apologise if this topic has been done to death many times before, but I wonder if people have any varied opinion on the hardest fell race in the UK...

I am talking of 'traditional' one day races, as opposed to ultras or multi day events...

I hear wasdale and jura get offered up as good examples, but what about Nant peris, ennerdale, Buttermere....?

Any others I have missed... Anything elsewhere in the UK such as south Wales, Yorkshire or the Peak District...?

As these are the types of races I aspire to be competitive in, it's an interesting topic for me, if not for anyone else...!

Pete

This is going to be about your definition of "hard". Those are certainly the longest and highest. I suspect some people would find races like Coniston Gulleys hardest to do well in. Great Lakes perhaps (although I've only ever reccied this).

I'd agree with the Great Lakes. Much shorter than Wasdale but it packs a lot in!
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

Super Moderator
    Burnsall
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Kirk Fell

Daz Holloway

I ran it two years ago great day out. Not done wasdale but people have said it is a similar challange

https://fellrace.org.uk/races/daz/

Master
    Wasdale, then Great Lakes, but there is not a lot in it.

"Wasdale, then Great Lakes, but there is not a lot in it."

I just think Wasdale is the hardest because its one of the longest you are out for.

I've not done the new 1000m peaks race but its a bit of a fast trail race for much of the route, likewise the Peris is much easier than Wasdale and again is largely all on trails.

Of those that I have done I'd go Wasdale > Jura > Greak Lakes but haven't done races like the arrochar alps or the glenshee 9 to compare. Jura just because its almost all trackless for 13-14 miles and quite hard route finding in bad weather.

However I've also not done routes like the 7 7s iN NI which is supposedly up there.

Billy said it was 3 Peaks and Edale, as there's so much running involved
    Wasdale is considered hardest by many (well, the PBS maps at least) as it's got the distance and Scafell Pike right at the end.
    Jura isn't as long but 8000' climb in the first 11 miles, then THAT road.
    In terms of stats, I believe Great Lakes is the only race (outside of short up'n'down blasts) with an average ascent of >100m/mile.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Wow lots of varied opinions which is interesting. Yes it definitely depends on personal strengths and weaknesses....

I'm doing the grasmere race this year as I will be in the lakes that weekend, and personally dreading the short steep sprint of a race, compared to say Kentmere next weekend where I'm raring to go...