Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardest UK fell race....?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    I also maintain that Long Mynd offers a very surprising challenge from what looks on paper like a very benign proposition.
    Agreed. That last climb.....

.................is a complete stoater!!!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Whichever race you've just run.

During the majority of races I've run, I've been desperate for them to end immediately and have pledged never to do one again.

The entire notion of running up and down massive big mountains is just preposterously stupid :-)

Banned
    Stagger's top 4 tough races.

1st Wasdale show
    2nd Alva
    3rd Ben
    4th Coniston

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Furness View Post
    I've found the three peaks hardest. I have no explanation for this but I've failed to finish several times and it always kicks the hell out of me. Borrowdale was hard but enjoyable as well. Not done Jura and the time I did wasdale it was insanely hot and runners were dropping like flies, including myself so hard to gauge.

The shorter races such as Burnsall are hard work but I think it's manageable hard work for most, the end is fairly near so it's easier to push hard. Maybe that's just me
    I agree Rob, it is a tough 'un. However, I found The Full Tour Of Pendle harder. It's shorter, but felt more brutal. You rarely seem to get a break from the climbs!!

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam W View Post
    Agreed. That last climb.....
    I find most shropshire races are far tougher than expected to the uninitiated. It is not so much the length of the clmbs but the steepness coupled with the fact that they are largely on grass. The Long Mynd Valleys being at beginning of Feb is always cold which knocks it up a mark or 2 on the toughometer IMO.
    Whether it is harder than some of the classic Lakes ALs is another question though. I personally doubt it but again so much is weather dependent.
    Of course what you would consider the hardest is basically a reflection of your own weaknesses. I'm crap at long slow gradual inclines - much prefer steep ascents and descents - so would find these type of races the hardest even though I doubt any would figure in anyone elses top 10.....
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

"Wasdale, then Great Lakes, but there is not a lot in it."

I just think Wasdale is the hardest because its one of the longest you are out for.

I've not done the new 1000m peaks race but its a bit of a fast trail race for much of the route, likewise the Peris is much easier than Wasdale and again is largely all on trails.

Of those that I have done I'd go Wasdale > Jura > Greak Lakes but haven't done races like the arrochar alps or the glenshee 9 to compare. Jura just because its almost all trackless for 13-14 miles and quite hard route finding in bad weather.

However I've also not done routes like the 7 7s iN NI which is supposedly up there.

Super Moderator
    Skipton parkrun is nails
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I cannot believe you have ever finished it DT.

Surely it's a bit long (if not hilly) for you?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".