I was at Dunmail last weekend, at a time of day when only contenders and their supporters for the Bob Graham Round were present.

The weather was a bit lively so I was in and out of the campervan rather than out enjoying the fresh air.

At some point during the morning rubbish accumulated right next to and under the stile leading to the trod up Steel Fell. The attached picture doesn't quite do the situation justice. The white plastic bag was the size of a medium-sized bin liner and was packed with rubbish.

2015-07-04 09.39.28.jpg

The shame is that because of the weather and trying to catch a bit of kip, I can't be clear who was responsible for dumping this stuff.

Ian Roberts collected all this rubbish and disposed of it in Keswick later that morning.

If you bring rubbish into the mountains, take it away with you. Clean up after yourself. Don't leave it for others to sort out. Ensure your supporters are briefed accordingly.

Anyone who treats the mountains in this way does not deserve to be a member of the Bob Graham 24 Hour Club, completed Round or not.