Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any ACL reconstructions?

Meant to add, I'm sticking with bodyweight exercises for the time-being contrary to what the physio has advised. I feel weights are too soon at this stage. I think it is fine to take professional advice but one size doesn't fit all and it is also important to listen to your own body.

Granty - if you're feeling strong enough to run on your knee then you are putting more than body weight through it everytime you step onto it.
    no, one size does not fit all, and yes, by all means listen to your body, but there is a reason why they say use more than body weight: It is so that you can put a certain amount of load through the joint in a controlled and scale-able way in order for it to strengthen to the point where it can cope should you overload it in an uncontrolled way when running.

Hey Granty. Glad to hear your rehab seems to be doing well. I'm finally getting closer to being able to train regularly 2 years post op. It's been a long road. Main thing I found was it wasn't my knee that was causing my knee pain. Whole body has been seriously out of alignment. Did all the gym work, could do one leg pistol squats, all the balancing stuff etc but still in a lot of pain. Finally resolving some of the underlying issues which are mostly in the hips/pelvis area although also in the calves and feet and I'm having some good days and recently put in a 25k without any problems. Taking the long route but I reckon it'll be worth it.

Cheers
    Mark

Good stuff guys. Glad to hear you are feeling positive Mark.

Been in the gym the past few weeks. Softly softly catchy monkey! Have done a very slow 5km jog now without walking and a 3km faster treadmill run. Still have stiffness in the knee and don't think i'll ever be able to hyper extend it the way my left leg does but, bizarrely, my 'bad' leg is still dominant on the Watt Bike. Go figure!

All in all I'd say I wish I had the op done years ago but now 5.5 months down the line I'm starting to feel a lot more positive about things

11 months post op I did the OMM A class with no problems last weekend, but also did the highlander 5 months post op which was fine as well. I was and remain annal about doing the various exercises and drills I was given by the physio

Like Mark most of my problems that I had came not from the op but from everything getting stuck and unbalanced as a result - some painful physio required to sort that out

Keep going its worth it

s

Nice one Saz. I am getting there with it. Ended up with 17 miles under the belt on Sunday. Hadn't intended it being that long but had 'navigational issues' ;-)

No ill-effects other than a bit of stiffness. Continuing with the physio more strictly now and am onto hopping exercises which are a real eye-opener in terms of how far I still have to come to get the operated leg back on a par with the 'good leg'.

Onwards and upwards guys!

Great to hear, Granty. I used to get a lot more "stiffness" in my knee during winter, the cold used to torment it a bit but it doesn't really seem to affect me in that way at all anymore
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

Nice one Cal. I think the biggest risk to it is me trying too much too soon :-)

Quote Originally Posted by granty View Post
    Nice one Cal. I think the biggest risk to it is me trying too much too soon :-)
    Yeah, I just kept telling myself I need to be patient. It's a great feeling when you can see your strength growing through your exercises. Keep it up bud!
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

Will-do matey!