Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Corpulent to 'core

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    112 days now . . . without a watch, Garmin or Strava
    Well done... Who needs a gps watch. I've got a Timex Triathlon or whatever it's called. Indestructible, I don't need to go on the facebook page asking about programming faults, and it's got a cool turquoise light!

I spend enough time on fellrunning already, either on here, reading, planning, even training and racing
    if I had one of them fancy watches my life would probably be over.

Super Moderator
    Turquoise light sounds good

Today will be day 119 (iirc)
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Master

Today will be day 119 (iirc)
    Crumbs that is good going Andrew and makes feel very lazy and a bit envious too I have to say!! keep it going.

Super Moderator
    Cheers Simon. I've just read your post re Cromford Incline. Very much my old stomping ground. 2 miles today brought up 120 days. A lot have been 1.5 -3 miles but I'm looking to push on with some proper training in 2016

Cheers Simon. I've just read your post re Cromford Incline. Very much my old stomping ground. 2 miles today brought up 120 days. A lot have been 1.5 -3 miles but I'm looking to push on with some proper training in 2016
    Brilliant and very well done DT - keep at it.

That's an interesting observation you've made; I found the same effect on my running when (Stolly-inspired) I ran everyday for about 16 months.

My definition of a run was 'at least 3 miles' each day. However, I noticed how my inner obsessional self (which I think perhaps quite a few of us runners harbour )was getting the upper hand and causing some 'social friction' as a determination to ensure I got my daily running fix was constantly on my mind. I also noticed how I was ticking off a lot of minimum distance runs each day at the expense of weekly longer, better quality runs. So while my endurance mo-jo was doing well and getting me out there every single day regardless of the weather or competing social obligations, I'm not sure my overall training was benefiting from the experience. Frankly, once I missed a day and broke the slavish obsession, life did become alot easier and in fact I now run most days but without the nagging compulsion to run everyday. But I'm glad I set the objective for that period, just to test myself.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    Brilliant and very well done DT - keep at it.

That's an interesting observation you've made; I found the same effect on my running when (Stolly-inspired) I ran everyday for about 16 months.

My definition of a run was 'at least 3 miles' each day. However, I noticed how my inner obsessional self (which I think perhaps quite a few of us runners harbour )was getting the upper hand and causing some 'social friction' as a determination to ensure I got my daily running fix was constantly on my mind. I also noticed how I was ticking off a lot of minimum distance runs each day at the expense of weekly longer, better quality runs. So while my endurance mo-jo was doing well and getting me out there every single day regardless of the weather or competing social obligations, I'm not sure my overall training was benefiting from the experience. Frankly, once I missed a day and broke the slavish obsession, life did become alot easier and in fact I now run most days but without the nagging compulsion to run everyday. But I'm glad I set the objective for that period, just to test myself.
    In the absence of a like button, I really like this and can relate to it so much. The term 'social friction' can be very apt! It got to a point with me that my obsession to do something dominated my day, thinking about it at work, being moody at home until the run was completed,(then returning to my normal jovial self!!) but the reality was when it came to actually going out for a run, I didn't really want to, but did so through necessity of obsession. the result was sub standard mediocre efforts. having said that I know if I train/run 5 or 6 days per week I am a much better runner for it and this acts as the driving force.

Re The Cromford incline, I was surprised to see from my downloaded Garmin data (very tech)that it is only 440 feet high. It seems a lot steeper and higher when plodding out the reps!

Super Moderator
    I was two stones overweight and had been for a couple of years. Much more of a concern was me starting to think (or even say) "I used to be a fellrunner". By running every day since the end of last summer I've lost weight, regained my mojo and I'm even looking for new challenges / events / routes to do. I'm much happier than I was too. Thanks for the positive inputs to the thread Mossy and Simon; appreciated!

Master
    I was two stones overweight and had been for a couple of years. Much more of a concern was me starting to think (or even say) "I used to be a fellrunner". By running every day since the end of last summer I've lost weight, regained my mojo and I'm even looking for new challenges / events / routes to do. I'm much happier than I was too. Thanks for the positive inputs to the thread Mossy and Simon; appreciated!
    Good luck DT. I keep hankering after a 'big day out' and am just reading 'The Round' which even only a few pages in is motivational. There are some really good looking other big days out in The Lakes, other than a variation of BGR, but re-capturing some of that BG atmosphere would be a really great motivator.

Super Moderator
    Can you swim? I can (like a 3 month old Labrador puppy) and fancy a Frog Graham

Can you swim? I can (like a 3 month old Labrador puppy) and fancy a Frog Graham
    OMG there is such a thing! http://www.froggrahamround.co.uk/

Thanks for nothing DT! Now you've just added to the ever lengthening list of bloody things I have to feel completely inadequate about - grrrh

Hang on a minute....'there's no time limit'......mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, well now........(picture sagacious thoughtful stroking of beard.....)
    Last edited by Mossdog; 30-12-2015 at 10:22 PM.
    Am Yisrael Chai