Thread: Which Walsh to go for

Which Walsh to go for

Thinking of getting pair of Walsh's again but unsure what the difference is between them. I've had PBs before- liked grip and weight but felt a bit wobbly and turned my ankle a few times.
    Can anyone shed any light on what the range is like please.
    Neil

Yo, I had the same trouble with some of the PB ultras, god awful..

Went for one size lower in the standard PB and the racers, I'm never changing now. The racers feel less cushiony obviously because of the weight loss.

Plus on a superficial note, Walsh PB's don't look like something out of Tron, which is a bonus if you ask me.

Not sure why but mine always feel wobbly & the back end of the sole always turns in...noticed this when I put them flat on the floor after use.

Love Walsh's but I'm not sure I can use them any more, unless anyone has had this problem and solved it?
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

I've got the standard PB Elite - after giving me the world's biggest heel blister ever on one outing last year, I decided to try them sans non-removable insole. After a bit of gentle manipulation, some naughty words, the application of a screwdriver & a soupcon of brute force finally managed to extricate the buggers...& they've transformed from being bone-crushingly tight (apart from the annoyingly sloppy heel), to a pretty damned perfect fit! I always found the stack height combined with the narrowness of the shoe meant for a fair bit of ankle instability on uneven surfaces where this has now brought the stack height down to a nicely minimal 20/15mm & removed the instability. Result.

What's the difference between the PB trainer,Elite and Ultra? Not sure if I've got the names right. I had the blue and yellow ones but see green and red ones about, not sure of the difference.
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by neilly View Post
    What's the difference between the PB trainer,Elite and Ultra? Not sure if I've got the names right. I had the blue and yellow ones but see green and red ones about, not sure of the difference.
    Neil
    The racer (green & red) are the lightest ones

Ultra is slightly wider than the Elite and the Ultra is also the heaviest shoe of the 3 (talking grams, obviously)

I think the sole is thicker on some compared to other's too, it used to be anyway!
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

Go for the Pb racer.It's a proper stripped down fell shoe. Finlay Wild is a wearer.

none they are crap compared with what is out there now

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo View Post
    There's certainly a lot of choice out there in shoes, & Inov8 & Salomon seem to invest in new technology & have a big range, but Walsh are still making a good shoe in my opinion. Having (relatively) small & narrow feet, I've not found shoes that fit me as well as Walsh PB Racers. I tend to need a new pair every ten months but that's probably 30+ races (short to long), recces, training etc., plus getting them resoled is simple enough. There are still some folk at the front of the field wearing them, though they've certainly not got the market share anymore. Still made in the UK, rather than a sweatshop.

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo View Post
    Meaning what exactly? ~

Different shoes suit different people - eg Innovate don't suit the shape of my foot but Walsh do. I find Walsh (and the old NB RX Terrain) much more stable than "what is out there now" so they work for short steep races.

Since the demise of the Montrail Highlander I can't find any shoes that work for a really long day out in terms of a bit extra comfort and cushioning vs stability and grip.
    if I can't see blencathra it's raining
    if I can see blencathra it's going to rain