Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salomon vs Inov8 packs

Salomon vs Inov8 packs

Looking to treat myself to a new pack for longer training runs and races.

The Salomon S-Lab ADV Skin Hydro 5 (a bit of a mouthful) and the Inov8 Race Ultra 5 look like they are up to the job. Both are well reviewed online but never really trust a lot of these sites, hence be interested in any comments from here.

My first impression is that the material used in the Salomon one feels nicer while the Inov8 one seems like it is 'laid out' better - i.e. the pockets on the front are more useful and maybe a bit easier to access. Also from what I can tell of the Salomon one you have to put it on over your head like a t-shirt, whereas the Inov8 is more like a normal pack and you just slip your arms through

Thanks in advance......

I can't comment on Salomon as never used any of their packs. I do have the inov8 race ultra 5 and it's very impressive. A snug fit with easily accessible pockets for bits and pieces. I used it for Borrowdale last week and it didn't feel like I was wearing it. I also like the bottles. One downside is the tube from the bottle comes loose sometimes on descents and swings about in front of your face, not ideal but maybe I need to secure it better. All in all a great pack.

JB

I've not used the inov8 vest, but do like their packs (I've got a few older race pros)

The Salomon vest you put on like a waistcoat and it has straps which go across the chest. I have the 12 set and you don't know you're wearing it. I also like the soft bottles which shrink while you drink, so no sloshing.

I'd go with whichever is most comfortable, but I think you'd be happy with either.

Thanks both, great feedback.

I'm leaning slightly towards the Inov8 pack but will let you know how I get on

Hi Will,

I've got the OMM 6ltr bumbag and it fits loads in, I reviewed it a while back (http://runningdelights.blogspot.co.u...-pouch-6l.html) and am still using it for longer runs successfully.

Lynne

JB,

Is there plenty of accessible room in the Inov8 vest for snacks, eg in pockets on the sides?

Robin

So I got both delivered and tried out over the weekend. In the end I went with the inov8 pack, but there isn't a lot between them

- both seem like they would do the job very well
    - Material for the salomon back was nicer
    - However it felt like the bottles on the Salomon one bounced around a lot more on the front while running whereas on the inov8 pack they are pulled in tightly against the ribs
    - I had seen a post elsewhere that said in the older models of the salomon packs the fastening mechanism would connect to a piece of plastic running down he front, whereas this is now a string like material, so maybe this is why it isn't as rigid?
    - it does mean on the inov8 one that you need the straws to run up the front of the vest but this seems to work fine. Alternatively both allow you to use a bladder and while you could do this with a camelbak style pack I'd say that the fit and functionality for running in these is nowhere near as good as the salomon and inov8 packs
    - both had lots of pockets on the front but felt like the inov8 one was laid out better, though this could just be my preference

Will
    Last edited by WillG; 11-08-2015 at 11:51 AM.

I know everybody has their own preference for carrying kit... But for me being able to get to items quickly whilst on the move is a main factor... And would I seriously be able to access my OS/race map any quicker using a race vest than if I stick with my bumbag... Surely not if I have to take the vest off my back to access my map?

Have just tried this out on the pack - there is mesh netting that runs from the front round to the back on both sides (difficult to describe exactly what this is - probably easier to just look at the pictures) and this fits on OS map easily. There isn't any zips on this so you can just take it in and out no problem. not sure about the salomon one as I've returned this already

Based on this I'd say it is easier to use than the packs that fit in the small of the back. I always find that getting the map out of these is fine, but putting back in takes time and doing it in such a way that it sits comfortably against the small of the back is tricky

Each to their own though. I wouldn't use the vest for every run, just depends on what's required

thanks for the info WillG...

I must admit I was looking at the Inov8 Elite race vest, which doesn't have the side mesh pockets... the one you have appears to be the next one up in the size range...