Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
Pilsley fell race.

Wake up and smell the coffee....and croissant.

”oh get you with your fancy coffee machine and croissant, how very cosmopolitan of you”.

Alison plays along with my early morning quip by proclaiming, “sophistication is alive and kicking in Chorley”.

I decide not to lower the tone and show her a video my mate had just sent me of some Dyno-rod guys dealing with the tricky removal of what they call the ‘sheesh-Kebab’. I find it amusing, my mate says he can’t stop watching it even though his wife finds it disgusting. I know Alison wouldn’t see the funny side, especially mid coffee and croissant....I delete.

Not one to miss an opportunity I ask Alison if she fancies ramping up the sophistication levels with a trip to Chatsworth House. It’s now her turn to ‘wake up and smell the coffee’ and she says, “who’d have thought it, a fell race at Chatsworth House”. I act all coy and confess my surprise that surely there can’t be a fell race in such salubrious surroundings? I’m told to cut the pretence.

By the time chores are completed we set off for the Peak District later than expected. Too late to experience the Chatsworth estate but we do have time to drive through the grounds on our way to Pilsley. I offer to re-enact the Pride and Prejudice scene where Mr Darcy strides out sodden from the lake. I disappoint Alison by telling her I’d have to substitute Mr Darcy’s see through white shirt with frilly cuffs for a Old County Tops fell race t-shirt. She doesn’t think she’d be able to contain herself and pleads with me to remain on dry land....I feel she’s being sarcastic.

Pilsley fell race is typical of Peak District midweek events with a large number of runners in attendance. So much so the race start is delayed to accommodate the large field of nearly 300. There’s nothing technical to deal with as the race route meanders through fields and along bridle ways. The section through Chatsworth Park whilst running alongside the river offers a fantastic view over towards the grandeur of Chatsworth House. I liked the sneaky little gate leading to the golf course, it would’ve felt out of bounds if not manned by a marshal.

On the night we’re fortunate to be greeted with the appearance of a magnificent rainbow. There’s no leprechaun with a pot of gold as we run towards what appears to be the end of the rainbow. Instead we’re rewarded with youngsters taking on marshalling duties at every turn, with every single one offering words of encouragement...such a nice touch.

Many thanks to Ben and all helpers...big and small.

We’d planned on calling off on the way home for a chippy tea but after such a fast race a heavy meal wasn’t to my fancy. Alison tells me we’ve a Cod Mornay at home if I preferred a late tea.....”oh get us, after spending a few hours in the presence of splendour we’ve gone all posh”......I’m told to calm down as it’s fish with cheese. I’m not deterred and say we’ll go mad and get a Vienetta desert from the Spar.....”oh Mr Darcy”...I think, once again Alison is being sarcastic.
Brilliant write up. Mr Darcy would have looked great in any old race T shirt. 100 likes on fb. Obviously everyone on their iPhones.