Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: info for newbies

info for newbies

Newbie , 1/whats all the letters mean in race discriptions.?

2/If i pre enter a race am I able to defer my place if the weather is bad ?

3/ is there a FAQs page ?
    thanks BB

There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing
    I am not overly keen on running if it is very windy Stolly,do you wear heavy shoes to keep your balance...or are you a bit overweight ..?

1. if you mean AM, AL, BL etc then the first letter is difficulty (A hardest, C easiest) and the second is length Short Medium Long. If you mean ER, PM etc see race page on left hand side. FFS means 'brace yourself'.
    2. What Stolly said
    3. The forum is the FAQs page
    Welcome old chap!

from the FRA rules:

Category “L” (long) races are 20km or over.

Category “M” (medium) races are over 10km but less than 20km.

Category “S” (short) races are less than 10km.

Category “A” races should average greater than 50m climb per kilometre, should not have more than 20% of the race distance on road and should be at least 1.5km in length.

Category “B” races should average greater than 25m climb per kilometre and should not have more than 30% of the race distance on road.

Category “C” races should average greater than 20m climb per kilometre, should not have more than 40% of the race distance on road and should contain some genuine fell terrain.

Certain races carry an ER designation which denotes that experience as a fell runner is required for a competitor to consider entering and running in that particular race. If any runner doubts their ability to compete in a specific race, they are advised to contact the relevant Race Organiser to outline their fell running history and discuss if the race is suitable for their level of experience.

At races designated with the NS abbreviation, navigational skills are essential and
    competitors must find their own way around the course. Visibility can be poor at any time of the year and following the runner in front is not a substitute for the sound exercise of the competitor’s own skills and judgement. The acquisition of these skills is the responsibility of the competitor.
    ....it's all downhill from here.

I've done nearly 30 parkruns and 3 trail races and never got lost so like that chap who got a picture on the cover of your mag ..its simple just run to top of hill then down again...not to keen if its right windy though..that can be tricksy.

Are longer races generally safer ..I presume you would run them a bit slower .
    Are there any good races coming up for the relative newcomer ?
    Partially marked would be best...

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Bill. View Post
    . . . do you wear heavy shoes to keep your balance...or are you a bit overweight ..?
    Very good
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Hi Stolly I've got a really good cycling jacket that has never leaked do people wear them for fell running..can see why you would want good kit .ive even got some waterproof shoes .

B.Bill, is your name Pete by any chance?
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC