Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lakeland training routes

You should write a book, Stolly
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

I can offer up an interesting route I made up a few weeks ago, with plenty of variation possible, and I think had a bit of everything...

Started off at Wasdale Head, straight up Kirk Fell (on reflection a very hard start, and maybe not everyone's cup of tea for starting off a training run)

Down to Beck Head, traverse under Great Gable into Stone Cove and up to Windy Gap (very 'off-piste' and remote on this section) and a flying descent down Aaron Slack to Styhead.

Styhead - Sprinkling Tarn - Esk Hause (very runnable, and plenty of variation to nearby peaks: I chose to go up Allen Crags and Esk Pike). Also an area that crops up on a couple of the long races, so some helpful knowledge picked up round there in the misty and stormy conditions).

From Esk Pike straight down to Ore Gap, down the length of Lingcove/Eskdale to the road and eventually the Woolpack... (on reflection should have stayed on the south ridge of Esk Pike as this would have been much easier, but seeing the whole length of Upper Eskdale/Lingcove appear under the clouds with nobody in it was quite a treat!)

Not a route to try if you are uncomfortable on your own (apart from Styhead to Esk Hause, I did not see a soul all day, on Bank Holiday weekend), but has loads of variety, plenty of variation for finishing in different valleys/adding numerous other peaks, and some lovely views.