Quote Originally Posted by Fellwalker View Post
Local knowledge for these type of events is very interesting. I did the short route and looking at Routegadget a few people took the direct descent down to the final control rather than taking the path over Haystacks. As i have never been that way i had a look at the closeness of the contours and rocky ground depicted on the map and decided discretion was the better part of valour and chose to take the path over Haystack and down Scarth gap. I obviously don't know how long it took people to pick their way down the other way but due to the wind and greasy rock the route over Haystacks was no picnic. Maybe i'll be a bit braver about direct routes next time.
I noticed one route had gone down black beck. Direct yes but would have taken a long time to pick your way down very, steep, slippery ground. Contouring around the ennerdale side of haystacks is quicker than over the top but given the weather, I opted to go down via the path on the south side of warnscale beck and then direct through fields to the last CP. That was still slow going and would probably have been quicker to have stayed on the path down to the road and then done an out and back from the farm. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!