Thread: Longshaw sheepdog trials

Longshaw sheepdog trials

Life is invariably like the movies!

Longshaw sheepdog trials fell race started with the theme tune from the movie Chariots of Fire bellowing from the show field tannoy. That's pretty much where the similarities to the movie start and finish.

When the theme tune is played during the movie it's accompanied with slow-motion segments portraying athletes running along the beach.....when we hear the theme tune we're off down a lumpy field that's just played host to 'one man and his dog'.

The backdrop for the movie revolves around the grandiose Cambridge university and the Paris Olympics.....we run over rainswept Hathersage moor with all its gritstone and bog.

The movie centres around Olympic selection and the ultimate prize of a gold medal.....we get water in a plastic cup and personally I wouldn't have it any other way.

Longshaw doesn't exactly leap from the page when up against classic fell races like Ben Nevis and Grisedale Horseshoe. Yeah, both are amazing races but I'm intrigued by fell races I've previously not done and it was time for a change....Longshaw was calling.

The end of August into early September is always a busy week on the fells. Longshaw was my 7th race in 8 days but surprisingly I was feeling pretty good. It must've been all the refuelling I'd done the previous day pigging out on Bakewell Tart....the proof is in the pudding....Bakewell Tart from Bakewell is delicious.

What of the race?

Once the Chariots of Fire theme tune had faded from earshot we're already onto the moors. And it's wonderful grippy gritstone that awaits as we run along the Burbage Rocks path....it's a total joy to run over. We're soon crossing the stream at Upper Burbage Bridge and head down into the valley for an interesting meander along the side of the brook. After a stiff climb up Higger Tor the reward is a fast descent only to be followed by more climb. The nature and terrain of the course was constantly changing, I especially enjoyed the twists and turns in the undergrowth whilst running off Winyards Nick.

The final 'run in' up the show field feels tougher than it should've....this is partly down to the fast descent off the moor taking its toll.

Thanks to all concerned....I will 'sheepishly' admit to being surprised with the quality of this race....baaarilliant.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
    Life is invariably like the movies!

Longshaw sheepdog trials fell race started with the theme tune from the movie Chariots of Fire bellowing from the show field tannoy. That's pretty much where the similarities to the movie start and finish.

When the theme tune is played during the movie it's accompanied with slow-motion segments portraying athletes running along the beach.....when we hear the theme tune we're off down a lumpy field that's just played host to 'one man and his dog'.

The backdrop for the movie revolves around the grandiose Cambridge university and the Paris Olympics.....we run over rainswept Hathersage moor with all its gritstone and bog.

The movie centres around Olympic selection and the ultimate prize of a gold medal.....we get water in a plastic cup and personally I wouldn't have it any other way.

Longshaw doesn't exactly leap from the page when up against classic fell races like Ben Nevis and Grisedale Horseshoe. Yeah, both are amazing races but I'm intrigued by fell races I've previously not done and it was time for a change....Longshaw was calling.

The end of August into early September is always a busy week on the fells. Longshaw was my 7th race in 8 days but surprisingly I was feeling pretty good. It must've been all the refuelling I'd done the previous day pigging out on Bakewell Tart....the proof is in the pudding....Bakewell Tart from Bakewell is delicious.

What of the race?

Once the Chariots of Fire theme tune had faded from earshot we're already onto the moors. And it's wonderful grippy gritstone that awaits as we run along the Burbage Rocks path....it's a total joy to run over. We're soon crossing the stream at Upper Burbage Bridge and head down into the valley for an interesting meander along the side of the brook. After a stiff climb up Higger Tor the reward is a fast descent only to be followed by more climb. The nature and terrain of the course was constantly changing, I especially enjoyed the twists and turns in the undergrowth whilst running off Winyards Nick.

The final 'run in' up the show field feels tougher than it should've....this is partly down to the fast descent off the moor taking its toll.

Thanks to all concerned....I will 'sheepishly' admit to being surprised with the quality of this race....baaarilliant.
    Nice write up Darren. Its a lovely day out at longshaw. Glad you made a weekend of it. I saw you sitting outside of the pub in Great longstone the night before (asking for directions to registration, hope you enjoyed that race too, it was a glorious night for running. good to hear you are knocking up the race tally. Unfortunately injuries don't allow me to do races on successive days now, so after a break it'll be Hodder this weekend.

A glorious morning for this years edition with the heather looking splendid in the sunshine.

Having been told at the race briefing that the road crossings were the responsibility of each individual runner it was a nice surprise to see that the marshals had managed to get hold of some of those Stop/Go lollipops, usually seen at roadworks, ensuring two safe crossings of the A6187!

The 138 starters soon found it hot work as we toiled up to, and along, Burbage Edge and then down into the valley before the pulls up to Carl Wark and Higgar Tor. From here, fast technical running via Winyards Nick and Over Owler Tor to the top of Padley Gorge and then the final drag up the tussocky sheep trials field to the finish.

The race was won by Will Gratton of Dark Peak in 40:15. First lady and 11th overall was Katie Walshaw of Holmfirth Harriers in 47:42. I was 22nd in 50:13 and 1st M60.

This is a cracking race, as alluded to by Tindersticks, and is tougher than it looks on paper with concentration required for the majority of it. I came unstuck in that department whilst descending the fast technical section at Over Owler Tor. I found myself atop a large gritstone boulder with a drop of at least 5 feet the other side. I was going too fast to stop, and where normally I would leap off and land on one foot I realised it was too steep a drop for that, so I decided on a two footed landing but I misjudged the height and landed on both heels. Ouch! I felt what was like an electric shock go straight up my spine. I thought I was going to have to stop but managed to keep going to the finish which fortunately was only just over a mile away.

My pain was eased by a delicious Cheeseburger and a couple of pints of Fozzie Pale Ale 4.2% from Grizzly Grains Brewing of Sheffield and an hour watching the "Wisest Dogs in the World"
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 03-09-2023 at 02:53 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Bit since I've done it, but I remember the bugger of an uphill finish! Seem to remember falling on the top of Burbage as well and drawing blood. Nice race.
    Hells teeth Bob You're going well at the moment.