Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: LDMT why not more popular

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    If I were a betting man (which I'm not!), I'd be going west and north. There's a lot of suitably obscure CP opportunities in that direction and navigation can be quite tricky that side of Dunmail if the clag comes down so probably more deserving of a recce. Planning to head out into the the Easedale/Langdale/Langstrath triangle with the dog and see where we end up.

I would be very surprised if the routes didn't head west mainly because this avoids having to cross the A591 twice. The fact that the terrain is so much more "interesting' is just a bonus!
    Mike Quinn
    Esk Valley Fell Club

Spent the last 3 days running and walking around the area. Found some delightful areas of fellside that I had passed by before and even added a new wainwright to my near complete list of the central fells. Not sure why I had not done Tarn Crag before but ticked that box today and have to say it was delightful.
    I am preying for good weather come September as nav could be a bit interesting if the clag comes down. Not too bad in higher fells but the one thing you don't want to see on the map is a CP description of "rocky knoll" on Blea Rigg!
    Last edited by PeteS; 12-04-2018 at 09:20 PM.

Just a quick reminder to get your entries in!
    Classic Trial: around 18 miles and 7500ft climb (29 km and 2300m). Estimated winning time = 4.5hrs. Minimum age for entry: 18yrs

Medium Trial: around 13 miles and 5000ft climb (21 km and 1500m). Estimated winning time = 3.5hrs. Minimum age for entry: 18yrs

Short Trial: around 9 miles and 3500ft climb (15 km and 1100m). Estimated winning time = 3hrs. Minimum age for entry for single runners: 18yrs. There is a new Pairs category in the Short Trial in 2016. Over 14's may compete as part of a pair if the other runner is their parent or legal guardian.

The distances shown above are as the crow flies. Actual distances covered may be up to 50% further.
    Mike Hind
    Borrowdale Fell runners

Entries for this year's event (9th Sept) close on Monday. Be there or be square!

Grasmere appears to be the centre of fell running currently, hosting SLMM, LDMT, FRAs and apparently next year's Dark Mountains from there. And that's before you think of this weekend's guides race!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

I've just signed up for next year's Lakes 5 Passes Ultra, starting and finishing in.... Grasmere (superb looking route by the way).

After the navigational chaos at Sedbergh last weekend (which admittedly i just about nailed perfectly), i am rather apprehensive about the prospect of zero visibility at the LDMT, particularly if heading west/north-west from Grasmere. Otherwise, i can't wait.

Master
    And this Sunday's Kong Mini Mountain Marathon is over the hills just to the east of Grasmere.

Next year's Dark Mountains is supposed to be the far eastern fells though, so unless they've moved...

Seems I was given some duff info!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    After the navigational chaos at Sedbergh last weekend (which admittedly i just about nailed perfectly), i am rather apprehensive about the prospect of zero visibility at the LDMT, particularly if heading west/north-west from Grasmere. Otherwise, i can't wait.
    Weather could play a big part, though hopefully not as much as last year! There is a vast area of around Blea Rigg and northwards that will be fun to navigate if the clag comes down.
    Looking forward to it immensely though only doing the short again this year. Running training has been taking a back seat to the cycling again this year and although I am probably fit enough to tackle the longer races, I would rather have a good run out and enjoy the day. The short is no walk in the park anyway!

After getting lost on my local Parkrun this morning my confidence has dipped somewhat.