Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: LDMT why not more popular

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Fellwalker View Post
    Interestingly he also chose to go round Hindscarth and up past the copper mines. I'd never really considered that as a route choice.
    No me neither - not a bad call that and probably relatively sheltered compared to Hindscarth Edge where I was having trouble staying upright!
    That said, the splits show that I was quicker over Dale Head. I lost it between 3 and 6 not helped by doing a face plant into a bog and smashing my knee on a rock in the process.
    The higher line straight from CP4 avoiding Dubs Bottom and going under Great Round How seemed to be more direct and quicker as well. Didn't consider that one either mores the pity.
    Last edited by PeteS; 13-09-2017 at 01:52 PM.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

I think i am at a bit of a disadvantage with the mountain trial. I've now done the Medium course twice and each time it has been my first time in that part of the Lakes. I've run 1 classic (Wasdale, so I got close to something I know this year), a couple of Mediums (Coledale and Fairfield), and 2 legs of the IHR. I've not spent any time walking in the Lakes and it's also the only navigation event I do each year (I plan to correct that this year though).
    On the other hand, it means it's the only event of the year where I don't feel I am racing but instead I am exploring. Maybe that's why I enjoy it so much.
    But it does surprise me to hear people talk about it with so much trepidation, perhaps I am just foolhardy? Anyway, I would recommend anyone to give it a go, as long as you can read a map well enough to not get yourself into danger and can spend a good 5 hours on your feet then I don't see what's stopping you from trying the Medium at least. It's still probably my favourite event of the year.

This year I made it to CP4 before being told to bail. I found the weather really hard going but really enjoyable. However, as soon as I was told it was cancelled and my head wasn't in the game I realised how wet I was and found it hard to find the path down to Seathwaite. Odd how these things happen! My biggest error was misreading the 15m contours because contouring round and then off Dale Head towards CP2, I was surprised to see a hill the other side where there were an absence of contours on the map. I assumed I was too far North, so I dropped down to the wrong tarn! I then spent a good time wandering around looking for a "South side" of the bumps around there. It's annoying because from my gps track, I was bang on the bearing so I should have stuck with it and kept going.

Well based on the advice received on the previous page, I put my entry in last night for the Classic course. I have the honour of being the first entry in the entire race.

Although once I've been vetted I may well get bumped down to the medium course. I just hope I have wowed them with my 'best AL finish' of 39th at Peris! But I wonder whether having done no similar 'nav' events, and not being an orienteer, will count against me.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Well based on the advice received on the previous page, I put my entry in last night for the Classic course. I have the honour of being the first entry in the entire race.

Although once I've been vetted I may well get bumped down to the medium course. I just hope I have wowed them with my 'best AL finish' of 39th at Peris! But I wonder whether having done no similar 'nav' events, and not being an orienteer, will count against me.
    I'm sure you'll be fine Travs - everyone has to start somewhere. When I entered my first Mountain Trial, back in 2006, I'd only been running for about 2 years and I'd done each of the Lakeland Classics (except Duddon) once. In those days men didn't have the option of entering the 'Medium' course!

No doubt I'll be walking round the Medium course again this year, as I have for the past two years.

I'm in. Looking good for a top 3 finish so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post

I wouldn't worry - you have plenty of AL experience.
    I'll be entering sometime over the summer. Hoping to do the medium this year but may have to opt for the short again as I'm struggling on longer runs at the moment. Picked up an injury at Long Mynd Valleys and been left with a haematoma which is taking an eternity to clear up...
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by dangilbert View Post
    I'm in. Looking good for a top 3 finish so far!

Dan we can hide behind a wall near the start and nobble 'Geoff Clarke' (apologies if you're reading Geoff), and have a guaranteed top 2 position each...!!!

Ha ha, yes. There would still be the small matter of getting round though!

Booked a few nights in Coniston next week so will aim to get up to Grasmere for couple of days recce of the more obscure areas. Looking forward to it already

Hoping it stays to the east of the Dunmail Road, as I know that area very well (famous last words).

Although I suspect the route might take us westwards into no-mans land.