Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: LDMT why not more popular

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Nice one. I also bloody love this event - it is my annual MOT if you like and the one permanent fixture on the calendar. I passed Joss around Steel Fell and thought that is definitely something to aspire to.

I'm hoping to see more route uploads to route gadget as I lost all my time between 1 and 2 as well. Not sure what the best line was here. I half thought about Grizedale Tarn and then contouring in, thought about the direct line but couldn't make out a safe line to the valley so opted for the middle ground - a mid contour which unfortunately took in a couple of boulder fields. Greasy stuff.
    Made up quite a bit of time towards the end thankfully but order of the day was to enjoy it, so mission accomplished
    I must have been pretty much next to you then as that's when I passed Joss too.

I had a look at the routegadget but haven't uploaded mine yet, I'll try and do it in a moment if possible. We ran all the way over to Fairfield and dropped straight down the scree shoot...didn't work because it was miles too far over but like you said, we had fun and that's was our only aim!
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
    Great result Pete, well done fella.
    I clocked up 25.6 miles with 10000ft.
    Tough day out for sure.
    Come on Darren, we're all waiting for your race report.

Apart from anything else we're keen to know where you went. 25.6 miles is about 41km isn't it? My partner reckons she did about 33km on the Classic course. (About 24.5km for me, walking round the Medium.)

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    Come on Darren, we're all waiting for your race report.

Apart from anything else we're keen to know where you went. 25.6 miles is about 41km isn't it? My partner reckons she did about 33km on the Classic course. (About 24.5km for me, walking round the Medium.)
    Haha...it's been a hectic week of working nights. I'm that tired at the moment I don't know mi arse from mi elbow....night, night

Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
    Haha...it's been a hectic week of working nights. I'm that tired at the moment I don't know mi arse from mi elbow....night, night
    No worries, happy to wait another couple of days! Sleep tight...

Stool End Farm Langdale for 2019.... fantastic location!

Entries open...

3 in the Classic so far.... guaranteed podium place...

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Entries open...

3 in the Classic so far.... guaranteed podium place...
    It will be medium or short for me again. My aging bones see me struggling on the longer distances these days and even the short was 4 hours for me last year.
    I'm going to see how I go at Coniston and Ras Y Gader and make a decision based on that.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

What a venue though... anywhere from there is going to be up into big hills... (hopefully we can stay away from Blea Rigg this year...!!)

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Indeed - this year we could really end up anywhere. I have a week planned at the end of May to familiarise myself (and the dog) with some fells I've not visited for many years. Just booked campsite for then and September and looking forward to both immensely.

Just out of interest, what is the view of the LDMT/fell runners on embargoing the area before the race?
    For orienteering events and mountain marathons the rules explicitly state that you are not allowed to visit the competition area in advance of the race with the aim of gaining a competitive advantage. Obviously this varies as e.g. with a mountain marathon, if you know the general area (e.g. northern fells) only it might be ok to go walking in the area staying on footpaths only, but not with the explicit aim of familiarisation in mind and certainly not when you know the exact location. (For orienteering with a much smaller area it can be much stricter, e.g. the sprint orienteering world champs are to be held in Edinburgh in 2022 and at one point there was talk that several top orienteers who attend the university might delay their course or not visit certain buildings so as not to gain an advantage!)
    Obviously with the current trend in MMs of releasing the locations ridiculously early, avoiding the area is much harder. If you live in Langdale are you just not meant to go training in your local area? (If you knew it was in the Lakes but didn't know the specific location until 3 days before it would be much easier and could run guilt-free!) The mountain trial is technically run under FRA rules and reccying for normal fell races is most definitely allowed... but I would still feel uneasy about specifically running round with the aim of familiarisation. Just wondered what other people's thoughts were.