Thread: Speed Work, Fartleks etc

Speed Work, Fartleks etc

Been reading the slow run/fast run, lactase, speed work stuff in this forum with interest.

My question is at what point does all this become necessary in someones training career? Having had a lot of experience in weightlifting in a past life, it was all too common to see beginners and intermediates start using all sorts of fancy training methodology's when for the first few years, simple consistent sub-maximal practice of the lifts, lots of repetition, focus on technique and a steady increase in total training volume would have worked much better.

I ask because I'm a relative new comer, only a year into training with a couple of races and on/off training due to injury. I've never sustained more than 20 miles per week. Is the fast/slow, speed work etc necessary at my level or should I just work on gradually running more for the first few years?

As someone without any training education, I'm only suggesting what I've heard and what's worked for me and others.

I suggest steadily upping your mileage would be the best thing you could do. I would only start introducing other stuff once you're stable at about 35 miles per week or more and have done 5-10 races.

"A few years" may be excessive. Normally people start doing speed work when they stop improving as a result of their standard 30-40 miles a week. You may get there within 6-12 months. It depends how easy it is to step up the mileage, avoiding getting too tired and avoiding injury.

I'm no expert but I do seem to match up to Noel's post above...

I've only been training since January but I'm usually around 40-45 miles per week, have been for about 7 months now. I started factoring in speed work about 2 months ago - track work & fartlek training (sometimes both in one) and they do help massively.

As Noel posted above, I would wait until you can do 30/35 miles a week without getting injured and then maybe consider it, along with more racing experience. I've only been racing since the start of last December but just done my 60th this season last Sunday...
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

Wow! That's some experience in the bag early on. Impressive stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Darwen Dashers Calvin View Post
    I'm no expert but I do seem to match up to Noel's post above...

I've only been training since January but I'm usually around 40-45 miles per week, have been for about 7 months now. I started factoring in speed work about 2 months ago - track work & fartlek training (sometimes both in one) and they do help massively.

As Noel posted above, I would wait until you can do 30/35 miles a week without getting injured and then maybe consider it, along with more racing experience. I've only been racing since the start of last December but just done my 60th this season last Sunday...
    Congratulations on knocking up so much experience in such a short time! By comparison, I started racing at the end of may, and have done 6 races so far (will be 10 by the end of the year)... although my location means racing in midweek, even every weekend, is pretty much out of the question... and my main target of the longer "classic" races means i'll probably not do more than 20 a year...

Another vote for speed work here. I would follow Calvin's advice above and wait until you can consistently run 5 or 6 days a week, then just add in one day a week of speed work. Don't underestimate how tiring on the body speedwork can be if you do it properly. But if done properly you will reap the benefits.

As an example, I was quite heavily involved in kickboxing to a pro level, and in our gym which was full of fit and strong athletes, I was the most dedicated to road-work, and especially the dreaded "sprints" (a word to send a shiver down many boxer's spines!!), and I shone out cardio-wise, even amongst the other dedicated fighters...

Not that it has transferred over to any success in fell-running...!!!

Thanks guys. I'm in a position that many aren't to be honest...single lad, loads of spare time, live in a location with tons of available races within an hour or two, etc etc...I'm very lucky! Also had no injury or hiccup since I started all this too, touch wood my running continues like that.

I do pick my races, of course. I was fired up for the likes of Kentmere Horseshoe and can't wait for Scafell & the Tour of Pendle but many of my races I do use as speed work & for that race experience. Like Travs said, people can be good at one sport (I was an alright footballer and thought I was fit!) but then when I took up fell running I have soon started to laugh at how bad my fitness was.

Conclusion; just take your time and once the steady build up comes, as will the miles, you will feel good and strong, this will be the time to add the speed work. Again, like Travs said, speed work is sometimes followed by a day of rest because even though it's short distance, it really takes it out of you
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC