Thread: Ticking over post 'ultra'

Question Ticking over post 'ultra'

Any advice on how to maintain fitness after completing your first ultra? I recently did a 50 miler which I trained for through a combination of long days in the hills walking and evening/Saturday runs of between 10-20 miles. Do you maintain that level through similar training or am I able to reduce/cut out the long days in the hills?

I'm guessing it depends what I want that fitness for and to shape my training appropriately?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kennedr View Post
    Any advice on how to maintain fitness after completing your first ultra? I recently did a 50 miler which I trained for through a combination of long days in the hills walking and evening/Saturday runs of between 10-20 miles. Do you maintain that level through similar training or am I able to reduce/cut out the long days in the hills?

I'm guessing it depends what I want that fitness for and to shape my training appropriately?

Thanks

really depends what you are aiming for next and how soon. I think you would need to plan your training appropriate for you next event. If it is another 50 miler were you happy with your performance or want to do better etc

Quote Originally Posted by kennedr View Post

Thanks
    Personally I have 2 days off (if longer 3 or 4) then go for an easy paced run on a well known flat road route (my pre race easy pace is 8 min / mile) then judge what effort that took. If it felt like a bit of an effort I keep the week very easy (short run then day off) and repeat the same thing maybe 3 or 4 days later. Normally I recover from a 50 in about a week. 100 miler is much longer, maybe 2 - 3 weeks.
    As soon as I feel recovered I steadily continue upping the mileage and quality.

after Lakeland trails 110k I had a few days'rest and then just started running again but taking it easy and got back into normal pattern again fairly soon. I guess you just need to listen to your body and don't over do it.

Thanks for the replies chaps. As exected seems to be pretty common sense approach.

Good place this.