Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ronda Dels Cims

Ronda Dels Cims

Just enquiring if anyone has done this race in Andorra? Considering entering next year and would just like to get another persons view on what it is like

Is it as hard as it sounds?

Is it well organised?

How technical are the technical bits – i.e. do you use chains?

Is the feed stations sufficient?

Is it well marked out?

Where did you stay?

It’s a beast, something like 106 miles - 42,650 ft ascent? A friend of mine had a go at this in 2013 – a very capable/experienced mountain/ultra runner, but he didn’t finish. He got as far as 90+ miles, but by then was reduced to a zombie-like state, so made the right call to pull the plug while at the safety of a check-point. He went back in 2014 and successfully finished in 46.5 hrs. You could try send him a PM on facebook (don’t think he’s on this forum) to ask your questions. Just mention I passed you his name (Drew Sheffield). Am sure he’d be happy to help.
    Totley AC

I'm entering this for 2016 - went to Andorra in Aug for a 3 day recce and found it spectacular....here's hoping i'm using words like that come Event time ;-)

Haven't done it before but again like MarkC i do know somebody who has - 1 time finished, next time DNF'd, also know someone who DNF'd but they were unwell even at the start. I'll answer the Q's i do know though...

I SUSPECT SO

Is it well organised?
    I HEARED GOOD REPORTS BACK FROM THE PEOPLE WHO I'VE MENTIONED

NO CHAINS TO MY KNOWLEDGE, I'M OF THE BELIEF THAT YOU NEED NO CLIMBING EXPERIENCE OR ADVANCED SCRAMBLING

NOT SURE

Is it well marked out?
    I EMAILED THE ORGANISERS AFTER COMING BACK FROM MY RECCE TRIP TO ASK THE SAME Q - THEY REPLIED TO SAY IT WAS INDEED

Where did you stay?
    I'VE JUST BOOKED WHAT I THINK IS A GOOD DEAL...£270 ALL IN FOR FLIGHT FROM LEEDS/BRADFORD TO BARCELONA & 7 NIGHTS IN HOTEL IN ANDORRA LA VELLA, THE ANDORRA BUS WAS VERY EFFICIENT FROM T2 AT BARC AIRPORT TO ANDORRA TOO (COST WAS ABOUT 76 EUROS - RETURN) - NOT BAD IN MY OPINION COST WISE....3.75HRS EACH WAY TO WHERE I WAS STOPPING IN SOLDEU - KNOCK 30MINS OFF IF YOU STOP IN ANDORRA LA VELLA FOR INSTANCE. AS A COMPARISON XFER FROM GENEVA TO CHAMONIX (ALL OF 76MINS ONE WAY COSTS ABOUT THE SAME FROM MEMORY) - THERE'S A GOOD CAMPSITE IN ORDINO (1KM FROM START) BUT I FANCIED A BED AND NOT A TENT EVEN THOUGH I'LL HAVE TO GET A TAXI TO START ON THE MORNING OF THE EVENT....MAYBE ONE BACK TOO DEPENDING ON TIME OF FINISH (OR DNF HO HO) - IT'S ABOUT 10MILES AWAY FROM ORDINO. THERE'S A GOOD BUS SERVICE BUT I THINK IT ONLY CRANKS UP FROM 7/8AM AND RUNS TILL ABOUT 9PM.

Quote Originally Posted by markdalton99 View Post
    I'm entering this for 2016 - went to Andorra in Aug for a 3 day recce and found it spectacular....here's hoping i'm using words like that come Event time ;-)

Haven't done it before but again like MarkC i do know somebody who has - 1 time finished, next time DNF'd, also know someone who DNF'd but they were unwell even at the start. I'll answer the Q's i do know though...

I SUSPECT SO

Is it well organised?
    I HEARED GOOD REPORTS BACK FROM THE PEOPLE WHO I'VE MENTIONED

NO CHAINS TO MY KNOWLEDGE, I'M OF THE BELIEF THAT YOU NEED NO CLIMBING EXPERIENCE OR ADVANCED SCRAMBLING

NOT SURE

Is it well marked out?
    I EMAILED THE ORGANISERS AFTER COMING BACK FROM MY RECCE TRIP TO ASK THE SAME Q - THEY REPLIED TO SAY IT WAS INDEED

Where did you stay?
    I'VE JUST BOOKED WHAT I THINK IS A GOOD DEAL...£270 ALL IN FOR FLIGHT FROM LEEDS/BRADFORD TO BARCELONA & 7 NIGHTS IN HOTEL IN ANDORRA LA VELLA, THE ANDORRA BUS WAS VERY EFFICIENT FROM T2 AT BARC AIRPORT TO ANDORRA TOO (COST WAS ABOUT 76 EUROS - RETURN) - NOT BAD IN MY OPINION COST WISE....3.75HRS EACH WAY TO WHERE I WAS STOPPING IN SOLDEU - KNOCK 30MINS OFF IF YOU STOP IN ANDORRA LA VELLA FOR INSTANCE. AS A COMPARISON XFER FROM GENEVA TO CHAMONIX (ALL OF 76MINS ONE WAY COSTS ABOUT THE SAME FROM MEMORY) - THERE'S A GOOD CAMPSITE IN ORDINO (1KM FROM START) BUT I FANCIED A BED AND NOT A TENT EVEN THOUGH I'LL HAVE TO GET A TAXI TO START ON THE MORNING OF THE EVENT....MAYBE ONE BACK TOO DEPENDING ON TIME OF FINISH (OR DNF HO HO) - IT'S ABOUT 10MILES AWAY FROM ORDINO. THERE'S A GOOD BUS SERVICE BUT I THINK IT ONLY CRANKS UP FROM 7/8AM AND RUNS TILL ABOUT 9PM.
    Thanks both for the replies

Mark - I reckon I am going to enter so may see you there. Just need to work out logistics of getting there as if I understand correctly you need to be there on the thursday and I would only fly in on the thursday morning to Barca.

I reckon I will camp

I may be being a bit dim but can you work out from the website the time you have to complete the event in and cut offs along the way?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by luxinterior View Post
    Thanks both for the replies

Mark - I reckon I am going to enter so may see you there. Just need to work out logistics of getting there as if I understand correctly you need to be there on the thursday and I would only fly in on the thursday morning to Barca.

I reckon I will camp

I may be being a bit dim but can you work out from the website the time you have to complete the event in and cut offs along the way?

Cheers
    Looking at the event website the race starts this year on Thursday 14th July and I reckon kit check and bib nos are issued day before. Race starts at 7am with a 62hr cut off - so 9pm on the Saturday night.

Race has 4 cut off points. 26hrs in, 43hrs in, 49hrs in and 53hrs in

I'm flying out Monday before race and returning the following Monday

Cheers

Mark

Looking at the event website the race starts this year on Thursday 14th July and I reckon kit check and bib nos are issued day before. Race starts at 7am with a 62hr cut off - so 9pm on the Saturday night.

Race has 4 cut off points. 26hrs in, 43hrs in, 49hrs in and 53hrs in

I'm flying out Monday before race and returning the following Monday

Cheers

Mark
    Looking at the website further it starts Friday am. Any idea what the name of the campsite is that is near by? Is it the Borda d'ansalonga?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by luxinterior View Post
    Looking at the website further it starts Friday am. Any idea what the name of the campsite is that is near by? Is it the Borda d'ansalonga?

Cheers
    The website is a tad confusing....on the front page it has 2016 dates of 14th-17th Jul (and the 14th is a thurs). Underlying pages still show 2015 dates (when the race started on friday 25th June). My best guess is website will be properly updated a little time before registration opens in November. Worth a quick email to them perhaps though, they do answer as I mailed them to ask if the course was marked/flagged.

Hope it is the 14th of July as I'd be covered with flights and hotel already booked. Friday start on the 15th would be ok too though.

Guy who entered last year recommended the campsite, will find out name 100% and post back here once known

The website is a tad confusing....on the front page it has 2016 dates of 14th-17th Jul (and the 14th is a thurs). Underlying pages still show 2015 dates (when the race started on friday 25th June). My best guess is website will be properly updated a little time before registration opens in November. Worth a quick email to them perhaps though, they do answer as I mailed them to ask if the course was marked/flagged.

Hope it is the 14th of July as I'd be covered with flights and hotel already booked. Friday start on the 15th would be ok too though.

Guy who entered last year recommended the campsite, will find out name 100% and post back here once known
    Had a reply back from my contact re: the campsite, he says that sounds like the one, he says it's 1km north of Ordino and the race route goes right along the edge of the campsite.

BTW - I've also just emailed off race org to ask for clarification on the start date of the 2016 event, again will post reply back on here when it arrives.

Cheers - Mark....

Okey cokey.....reply from Race org received today. Not for the 1st time in my life (well.....probably the 3rd or 4th time today) - I was wrong in thinking the race started on Thursday 14th July, it is actually Friday 15th as previously advised by luxinterior

That still fits OK for me - though with a 62hour cutoff (so Sunday eve 10pm) i won't have the benefit of a extra nights restful sleep before i fly back from Barcelona on the Monday. Hey-ho....that'll do - I'm flying out on the 11th July (Monday) so another day to chill out before the fun starts.

Apols for the confusion peeps :-)

EMAIL FROM ORG>
    "The start of Ronda dels Cims is Friday 15th July 2016 at 8 am. But the race bib is on Thursday 14th July."

Okey cokey.....reply from Race org received today. Not for the 1st time in my life (well.....probably the 3rd or 4th time today) - I was wrong in thinking the race started on Thursday 14th July, it is actually Friday 15th as previously advised by luxinterior

That still fits OK for me - though with a 62hour cutoff (so Sunday eve 10pm) i won't have the benefit of a extra nights restful sleep before i fly back from Barcelona on the Monday. Hey-ho....that'll do - I'm flying out on the 11th July (Monday) so another day to chill out before the fun starts.

Apols for the confusion peeps :-)

EMAIL FROM ORG>
    "The start of Ronda dels Cims is Friday 15th July 2016 at 8 am. But the race bib is on Thursday 14th July."

Thanks for confirming this - I just need to make my mind up whether I do the Ronda or Mitic!!!