Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Galloway Hills Round

Some friends of mine are doing the 'Ring of Fire' on June 25th. I've (hopefully) attached an image with some details Ring of Fire.jpg

I also did what I've always assumed to be the last running, though I did the short race. I found it very tough, finishing just about last of the finishers in something like 11 hours as I recall. I got suckered by the two lochans of the same name nav error!! Pity its not been ran since as I really wanted to do the long and the plan was to do the short first. My understanding was that it was particularly tussucky that year due to 'foot and mouth' having just finished as it were.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

How did your friends get on Richard36?

Sadly a hamstring/glute injury has had me sidelined for some time so I've not been doing much of late. Warming back up now, will get back to the hills soon. Also going to the OMM which is based out of Glentrool this year! Looking forward to local knowledge being a hindrance and getting embarrassingly lost...

Hi James

Five of them did the Ring of Fire though it had to be split over 2 days in the end due to bad weather as they began the Range of the Awful Hand (Merrick, Kirriereoch etc. They weren't going for any fast time though several of the five may do it again and try to go much faster next time.

I'm a member of the Galloway MRT and had heard the OMM is based out of Glentrool this year. The team will be on stand by for the event. Hope you manage the start line and have a good race.

So I had a go at the full thing on Friday. I have kept it very quiet all year (so as not to put any pressure on I suppose) and just focused on this. Physically I felt ok but I ended up bailing out as the conditions at the top were pretty nasty (worse than the OMM I reckon, not as cold but the wind was far stronger and the rain kept battering me, usual Galloway visibility too) it was slow going and I felt that the amount of time it was going to take combined with the conditions meant that it wasn't wise to continue. Need to do some more recce work I think and figure out the best lines around some of those hills. Of course once I descended to the valley floor it was quite a nice day... I made a good decision to quit, I was running solo and unsupported so if I got in trouble it was going to be difficult to get off the hill. I learned a lot and despite hurting in so many different places I am really keen to have another go at it.