Thread: Lightheadedness

Lightheadedness

Anyone else suffer from going lightheaded shortly after races or hard efforts? I think it's blood pressure related because laying down helps. It's quite strange, I can finish well and soon after the finish go very pale and start feeling faint and dizzy.
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Master
    It does sound like low blood pressure - once you stop moving the so called muscle pump of the leg muscles helping to return the blood to the heart - against gravity - also stops, as does the sucking action of deep breathing which has the same effect - and if you are the least bit dry that will of course also contribute to low blood pressure.
    I have only had it once myself - after Wasdale 2013 - it was jolly hot and I was extremely thirsty.
    Solutions? Eat and drink ASAP, sit or lie down if necessary - or the opposite - keep moving about to keep that muscle pump going, but of course we all want to stop and chat; support socks/tights may help.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    It does sound like low blood pressure - once you stop moving the so called muscle pump of the leg muscles helping to return the blood to the heart - against gravity - also stops, as does the sucking action of deep breathing which has the same effect - and if you are the least bit dry that will of course also contribute to low blood pressure.
    I have only had it once myself - after Wasdale 2013 - it was jolly hot and I was extremely thirsty.
    Solutions? Eat and drink ASAP, sit or lie down if necessary - or the opposite - keep moving about to keep that muscle pump going, but of course we all want to stop and chat; support socks/tights may help.
    a possible early S&S of AF...might be worth checking out? it was one of my symptoms.

like Ian said, could be AF (Atrial Fibrillation) - dead easy to check: feel your pulse - is it racing or irregular...
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

It's always racing after a race, but I don't think it's anymore than normal. Might try wearing a HRM again for a bit and see. I have always had a difference in HR when inhaling and exhaling (slows down on exhale quite markedly) but this hasn't changed.

I do keep meaning to have my heart checked out but it's one of those things that I'm reluctant to do in case they find something I don't like! I hope that makes sense, however odd it may seem.
    @Hill_Runner on twitter