Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best post-race grub

Best post-race grub

I was just replying to the hardest fell race thread and realised that the reason I favour my two nominations (Darren Holloway and Wasdale) is because of the amazing post-race grub. Can any race beat:

a) the cakes at the Daz H race.
    b) the amazing spread put on at Wasdale (last year I had pineapple - sublime).

I think in third place would come the Anniversary Waltz with the half pint of ale.

I think that you can not beat the pies at the end of Lansdale. The smell as you walk past those lucky enough to get there before you and then the choice. Added to that a pint in the beer garden of the old dungeon ghyll. Life does not get better than that!!!!!

The most interesting post-race grub (and the winner may correct me here) was half a lamb to the winner of the Rhinogs Horseshoe race in 2005. (is this race still being run?)

If you like cake, do the Saddleworth Cake Race...ridiculous amount on offer for a small donation after the race, any cake flavour, shape or size you can imagine! Not a bad run out either
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

Quote Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
    The most interesting post-race grub (and the winner may correct me here) was half a lamb to the winner of the Rhinogs Horseshoe race in 2005. (is this race still being run?)
    Did the Rhinog Horsesheo a few times when it first started, pretty tough race itself, not sure about the lamb, dont think its been run for a while, not sure why as it was a great race.

Really enjoyed the scran at the end of Wasdale on Saturday, but the best I've ever had post-race was at Mickledon Straddle, top notch. Sarnies, flapjacks, quiches, cakes, buns, the full works, luvvly jubbly.

The selection of sandwiches and cakes after the Grisedale Horseshoe is excellent but without doubt, the best post race food is:
    free pasta supper in the Calfs Head at Worston at the Mearley Clough race.
    Most people go back for 2nds but one lad from Rossy Harriers had 5ths this year !!
    See the light in the night

The Rhinogs bit the dust I am afraid. Small fields and the effort to put it on did not make it viable. When people got lost it caused mayhem. It will probably be resurrected one day though. Proper tough race.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Not in the true spirit of this thread; the morning after the Bradda - Niarbyl race, the Bowland platoon visited a quaint little tearoom in the centre of Peel for brunch ...... Manx Kipper Baps!
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

And what about pre-race grub?? Can anything surpass the Magnificent Mountaineers Breakfast in Nevis Sports?? Essential ballast prior to the Ben!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth