Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blencathra

Blencathra

Hi all
    A heads up for Blencathra Race this Wednesday night - 7 p.m from Mungrisdale village just off the A66 east of Threlkeld. New race maps combine this race and Skiddaw race on one map - available from Pete Blands or on the night. Full kit required. Visitors and half-term holiday travelers welcome to this midweek classic.Info - Dave on 01768 863000 or see Eden Runners website.
    Last edited by Dave Sargent; 29-05-2016 at 04:21 PM.

Hi all
    There has been a grass and heather fire on the fell today; appears to be under control but watching this carefully. Please alert anyone you know who is planning a long drive to do this race. If any chance of call-off I will try to get a post on this site on Wednesday. BBQ apparently!
    Cheers
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sargent View Post
    Hi all
    There has been a grass and heather fire on the fell today; appears to be under control but watching this carefully. Please alert anyone you know who is planning a long drive to do this race. If any chance of call-off I will try to get a post on this site on Wednesday. BBQ apparently!
    Cheers
    Dave
    Thanks for that Dave. MrRTS is coming straight from work tonight (3hrs) to do this. However, him missing a race is not half as tragic as a fire on the fells.
    I will keep a look out on here and let him know. Hope damage is not sever.

Cumbria Fire Service say it's under control and should be fine for tonight. There is an alternative race we can do if things change. Same time, same start.
    Cheers all
    Davie

Master
    Great low key event - only £3 to enter - clear skies though a bit of a breeze - mainly on grass, at times quite steep - super views of Blencathra's flat top. Thanks to the RO and the marshals.

MrRTS enjoyed it. Just got home, jumped in bath then straight to bed ready for 5am up to work. Why ..... Oh I know, because it's so much fun. He said great event and thanks to all :-)

Quote Originally Posted by RaceTheSweeper View Post
    MrRTS enjoyed it. Just got home, jumped in bath then straight to bed ready for 5am up to work. Why ..... Oh I know, because it's so much fun. He said great event and thanks to all :-)
    Sorry it's been a while - had trouble logging in.Gald you enjoyed the run - what a great night to be out on those fells! Thanks for support.
    Dave

Master
    Super race evening yet again, albeit jolly windy on the top; thankfully it was a tail wind for the last couple of miles. A lovely tribute to Stephen Owen at the start. Lots of support around the route, with marshals to advise on escape routes if needed. That final descent must be one of the steepest in the fell racing calendar, though fortunately it is all grass. Thanks to the RO and the marshals.

ditto from last year. We both went up this year though and stayed for a lovely meal at the pub. MrRTS 14 race of his 50@50. Super race, super marshals. Beau dog and I were on Bowscale Fell doing cheerleading duties and camera shots. Well done everyone :-) We got home at 12.30, up at 5.30 for the hubby to go to work - I waved him off and went back to bed haha

Master
    ditto from last year. We both went up this year though and stayed for a lovely meal at the pub. MrRTS 14 race of his 50@50. Super race, super marshals. Beau dog and I were on Bowscale Fell doing cheerleading duties and camera shots. Well done everyone :-) We got home at 12.30, up at 5.30 for the hubby to go to work - I waved him off and went back to bed haha
    Crumbs. And you had Calver just down the road!! I would love to do The Blencathra race and feel with the commitment and dedication above there should be no excuse to miss it next year.