Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jura 2016

Jura 2016

Regular or previous Jura entrants please note: entries for the 2016 race open on 1st December 2015, not at the beginning of March as previously. The race is on Saturday 28th May.

The 2016 race also happens to be a Scottish Hill Runners Championship counter, and is subject to the usual max start line of 250 runners. The earlier entry date is partly to give runners and families a head start on all the Islay whisky and music festival tourists who will be trying to book the same ferries. Entries will not be selected on a strictly first-come-first-served basis. (As if they ever were

Please pass this info on to anyone who normally goes.

Any other teachers out there hoping that one year this race will be on the second Saturday of half term rather than the first? Maybe we'll just have to wait until we retire, by which time I for one will be past it. Though Graham's cryptic comment about entries makes me think I might not get in anyway! Best of luck to all who do.
    Run the race. Keep the faith.
    (2 Tim 4:7)

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Richard View Post
    Any other teachers out there hoping that one year this race will be on the second Saturday of half term rather than the first? ...
    Hi Rev. Nothing sacrosanct about the first Saturday of the English half term week - main reason is fitting in with other race calendars. Also, our race weekend is the last day before the Islay and Jura Whisky Festival kicks in, and we simply would not have the support of the distillery, and use of the cooperage the following weekend. It's all like a jigsaw puzzle.

Oh, and age/speediness is not much to do with getting an entry. The race is for (almost) everyone! There is little danger of not getting a race if you've done the right things (???) and turn up on the day (having entered through SI Entries).

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamA View Post
    Hi Rev. Nothing sacrosanct about the first Saturday of the English half term week - main reason is fitting in with other race calendars. Also, our race weekend is the last day before the Islay and Jura Whisky Festival kicks in, and we simply would not have the support of the distillery, and use of the cooperage the following weekend. It's all like a jigsaw puzzle.
    Understood - sounds as if it's half term that's going to have to move. Summer half term is decided for us by the Exam boards - but exams are coming earlier and earlier though, so maybe soon it will jump forward a week . . . .
    Run the race. Keep the faith.
    (2 Tim 4:7)

This race is now greatly oversubscribed, but entries are still open ...

The entry system for Jura 2016 will be different from usual. The race start-line limit of 250 was reached a couple of hours after entries opened yesterday, and after 24 hours there are 440 names on the list.
    Entries to the waiting list will not close until shortly before the race, to allow for any contingencies. No selections at all will be made for a few days, and the proportion of entries from members of Scottish clubs will be counted. For the last year or two, the Scottish proportion has been about one third, but as the race is a Scottish counter this year, the proportion who will be allocated an entry will probably be increased slightly. These things are hard to predict - Slioch was an AL Scottish counter in 2015, but in the end the start line was much lower than initial entries.

Past experience suggests that the bulk of withdrawals do not occur until a month or so before the race, and anyone on the waiting list who is still able to go at late notice can step in.

Meanwhile, all entries arriving during the first few days of December will be treated as having arrived at the same time.

How do you work out who's in Graham ?

Quote Originally Posted by andygib1982 View Post
    How do you work out who's in Graham ?
    I seek the assistance of a bottle of fine ale. Then I watch cat videos. Finally, I go on to William Hill, see what the odds are on x or y or z getting an entry, put money on the longest odds, and give them an entry. Obvious, really.

No bribes needed then.....

I only accept bribes when within walking distance of the bar. No seriously, ...

CONSIDERED SELECTION CRITERIA, AND MY THOUGHTS ON THE MATTER, WILL APPEAR ON THE RACE WEBSITE, later today, I hope. They will be on the Entry Form page, and there will be a link on the Home page. No fighting please.