Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jura 2016

Hows the reserve list gonna work ?

What has been 'Elite' got to do with whether or not you spend money on the island?? And why should they spend more money than anyone else?

As Graham's explanation for how the entries work makes clear, he makes a broad selection from across the range of entrants, taking care to represents all the age groups balance the gender representation, as well as those faithful to the race over the years, those seeking champs points and those wanting to try it for the first time. So it's not just 'Elite' entries getting in.

Don't be bitter for not getting an entry, travel up to support the race anyway through marshalling or recceing the course for future years. Chances are anyone willing to travel will get a spot anyway.

Initially I was a bit hacked off at not getting a position. Especially when I saw the selection criteria and kicked myself for not putting my 'good MM result' in the 'previous experience' section! (I went for a previous Jura and a champs race last year. oops).
    But then again I was in a funny mood last week!
    Upon further thought, I'm not that fussed. Sure I'll be missing out on a great weekend but there'll be plenty more great weekends, at Jura and other races. Hopefully I'll be across the Paps (delivered by boat, spending no money, alas...) the weekend before, and I intend to visit for a longer trip at some point.

I know people with entries who will challenge for the win, be hunting for a sub-4 whiskey glass, and will scrape in just before the cut-offs. And they all deserve their place more than I do. I'd probably make the start list via the waiting list, but it's time for someone else to have a go so I've cancelled my entry so others get the chance.

As I said to a younger runner annoyed at not making the race ("but when will I get a chance to race it?"), who wants a fell running without the spread from your racing snake record-chasing merchants, to your 'back-of-the-pack' for the love of it dealers?
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Super Moderator
    Great post
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    ...As I said to a younger runner annoyed at not making the race ("but when will I get a chance to race it?") ...
    I find it hard to believe there are any runners younger than you, Nic!! Did you mention to them that Roger Ashby was 69 when he did his FIRST Jura and has since been back to do two more?

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    Did you mention to them that Roger Ashby was 69 when he did his FIRST Jura and has since been back to do two more?
    Well that has ruined my Christmas!

I have been fell running for 30+ years, have done over 80 races in a year a couple of times, run all the Lakeland Classics (obviously!), won Eng. Champ. medals, won the odd race First Vet Cat prize,...but never bothered to do Jura. All that faff!

So now I may have to do my first one as a V70!!!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Well that has ruined my Christmas!

I have been fell running for 30+ years, have done over 80 races in a year a couple of times, run all the Lakeland Classics (obviously!), won Eng. Champ. medals, won the odd race First Vet Cat prize,...but never bothered to do Jura. All that faff!

So now I may have to do my first one as a V70!!!
    Haha! Sorry Graham. Go on - you know you want to.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboycantrun View Post
    Just hope the successful entries that haven't run before and our "elite" friends spend money on the island. Going across on the rib on race morning and going back after the race won't really help the island.
    Doesn't anyone do the Goatfell/Jura combination any more? On the one occasion that I did Jura, I decided that if I was going to travel to somewhere so remote I ought to take a week's holiday. So I went up to Arran for the Goatfell race on the previous Saturday, used the ferries via Kintyre and Islay to travel to Jura on the Monday, and stayed on Jura until the Sunday after the race. That was before I became an academic; it wouldn't be possible for me now (but maybe when I'm a retired M70 like Graham Breeze?).

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    All that faff!
    When I first came across the idea of the Jura fell race a quick google maps route plan confirmed that getting there would indeed be a faff.

Some time later, and having absorbed a bit more Jura chat from Pennine folks, mainly Luv Shack!, I had a look again at transport options and my interested was peaked by posts on here of the cycle - ferry option from Ardrossan - still a bit of a drive from the Peaks but better than driving all the way up and down Scotland to get to Kennacraig. Even better was that I could train it to Ardrossan for about 20 quid each way if I got some advance tickets - a great trip was taking shape. OK, so an impending train strike scuppered my snoozing on a train in favour of driving, but I then spent the most chilled enjoyable 5 days ferrying, camping, cycling and running. The Jura race was ace, but it was just one component of a great trip. Memorable wildlife encounter was camping with deer nr Lochranza. On my return leg across Arran I camped at Glen Rosa and had a little leg stretcher up GoatFell before breakfast.

Really looking forward to doing it all again next year

I am on the reserve list, however I will still travel to Jura even if I don't get on the start list, and have offered to marshall or help out should I not be racing...

As mentioned above, whilst I would love to be racing, it's about the occasion and the weekend as well...