Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Jura 2016

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Doesn't anyone do the Goatfell/Jura combination any more?
    There'll be some, but I reckon the SIPR/Jura double might be more popular. And insane.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Yeah, there's a prize now for the SIPR/Jura double - can't remember exactly how it's decided.

well - 2 years ago they gave it to Manny Gorman, who said he was fed up of having it on his mantlepiece, so he passed it on to Dave Ward. I imagine Adam Perry will be the fave to take it this year.

Now I think of it, Fin won both Goatfell and Jura this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    well - 2 years ago they gave it to Manny Gorman, who said he was fed up of having it on his mantlepiece, so he passed it on to Dave Ward. I imagine Adam Perry will be the fave to take it this year.

Now I think of it, Fin won both Goatfell and Jura this year.
    That's assuming you don't go a wander on Ben More and your boat doesn't take a detour through the Crinan canal again Ba-Ba ;o)

who said i'm partnering him!

Unfortunately we are unable to get to Jura this year - we had booked Burnbank cottage at Craighouse - so it is now available from the 27th May to 3rd June.

See website for details:

http://www.isleofjuracottage.co.uk/
    Will Meredith - Pennine

What's the big attraction of Jura fell race?

Jura is not just a race, it's an experience. The journey over doesn't have to be a logistical headache, for some it's a perfect excuse to indulge in a Island hopping cycling adventure. We came over in a Camper and it was a doddle. The population of Jura more than doubles on race weekend with runners staying in tents, campers, cottages and the hotel, most seem to arrive on Friday and leave on Sunday.....Saturday night can get pretty lively, there's even a Ceilidh for the sure footed or those simply up for the craic.

This was only my 2nd Jura, I'm a Jura amateur...my friend Albert Sunter completed his 28th Jura, it's fair to say Albert has a fondness for this race. He's not alone, many runners return year after year...and why wouldn't they?

Jura is arguably one of the purist fell races out there. It has everything you'd expect from a classic race and more besides....If bogs are your thing, you're in for a treat. How about steep leg sapping climbs...oh yes, 7 of the buggers followed by every type of descending you could imagine: scree running, treacherous boulders, steep heather and runnable spongy peat. Navigation and route choices are also called upon, but on days like yesterday the only real hindrance was concentrating on foot placement whilst being distracted by the amazing views of the Paps....what whoppers.

Then the sting in the tail, actually it's more like a kick in the balls....3 miles of road on battered legs. Some say this detracts the race from being pure fell. I feel it adds to the experience and pushes you completely out of your comfort zone, a tough ending to a brutal race.

Novelist George Orwell described the location of Jura as 'extremely ungettable'. Modern transport has since made Jura more accessible...what remains ' extremely ungettable' is my sub 4 hour race time goal...maybe next year?

Many thanks to all involved.
    Last edited by Tindersticks; 30-05-2016 at 11:25 PM.

As usual an excellent and prompt post by Tindersticks
    My thanks to Graham and Rosie, all the inhabitants of Jura who turn out to help and the many who travel from far afield, often for the whole week, to assist the organisers to make it such a successful, some would say life enhancing, event.. In the heat this year it was an added bonus to get additional fluid, at times sustenance, from Marshalls, MRTs and supporters

Jura race week is upon us again....!

Anyone else going this year?

First year for me and I can't wait! Travelling up to Scotland Thursday, across on the ferry Friday, and staying on Jura til the Monday afternoon.

Hopefully be in a fit enough state to do something nice on the Sunday.... Evans Walk, or maybe just hobble up the road to Corran Sands.

As for the race, not sure how it's going to go. Feeling quite fit by my own standards, so given favourable weather I'd like to think 5 hours is a reasonable target that gives me something to work at. I may be massively out on that though....

I'm missing it through injury this year, but it's a unique race and one you should love Travs. I find it as tough mentally as physically (though my legs may disagree!), the paps look huge when you're at the bottom of them, they're really quite intimidating climbs and there's no rest on the descents as they're brutally rocky and you've all on to stay in one piece. Add to the fact that there's very little distance between them and it makes for a tough portion of the race, so get your head round it before you set off. The run out to, and across the first 3 climbs is lovely although can be boggy early on, and the long run off to the road from the last summit is also a lovely long 'blast' with a welcoming river dip on the way. Opinions vary on what to do for the road section but i've always changed into road shoes which really helps me with comfort and I think also pace rather than slopping round in wet studded shoes; I've always made up any time i've lost on those around me at the last CP who don't stop to change shoes. I usually cycle up to leave my shoes, and either cycle back afterwards as a cool down to pick up my fell shoes, or throw them at someone I know as i'm changing out of them and hope they bring them to the finish for me. It's a popular spot for supporters.

Whatever you do, and however it goes, make sure you enjoy it. The views on a clear day are spectacular, and the terrain is spectacular whatever the weather. It's an amazing race.