Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fellsman 2016

Fellsman 2016

Note the date for the 2016 event has been revised - now a week earlier than previously indicated. Extract from website......

Welcome to the first post of the new Fellsman year!

“You’re late!” We can hear you saying, “The date vanished! What’s wrong? Is the Fellsman not happening?”
    Rest easy. The 54th Fellsman is going ahead, but on the weekend of the 16th and 17th April rather than 23rd and 24th as we’d originally planned. So what happened? Well, it was all a bit complicated. As you may or may not know the Fellsman is organised, and largely staffed by, the Keighley Scout Service Network and other members of the Scout Association. The St George’s Day Parade, which for the first time since the date change to April actually falls on Fellsman Sunday, is a big event in the Scouting calender and it became clear that, were we to hold the Fellsman on the 23rd and 24th April, not only would we not be able to perform our parade duties, but also we would be severely short staffed – it’s hard to run an event when most of your checkpoint teams are run and staffed by Scouts.

No problem we thought, with the permission of the landowners we could move it to the following weekend, May Day Bank Holiday. It was only whilst we were pursuing this idea that it became clear that there was every possibility we could end up sharing the Dales with 200+ professional cyclists and 100,000 spectators – it might have done wonders for our public profile but we figured you might want the mini-bus pick-up service to be able to run…

So, here we are, with the only available date as the 16th and 17th of April. We are aware that it will get dark a bit earlier and light a bit later, and there is a greater risk of bad weather (about 1% increased risk of snow) and lower temperatures (about 1-2 degrees) but we will be reviewing our safety procedures and putting in some additional measures to take account of the increased chance of more inclement weather. We will also be reviewing the kit list and issuing guidance of what to do to keep yourselves safe. Of course this is the Fellsman, so it’s equally possible we might be issuing suncream and heat stroke warnings!

With the date finally settled we are now pushing on in double quick time and entries will open as usual on 1st of January 2016. Keep checking back for updates.
    Totley AC

Entry for this is January 1st 2016. Is this first come basis or ballot etc?
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

normal race entry procedure, sales are normally pretty relaxed. I think EOD has even been offered the past couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by barnyc View Post
    normal race entry procedure, sales are normally pretty relaxed. I think EOD has even been offered the past couple of years.
    True. I think even on the few years it has filled up, when people realise what it actually is, they suddenly find something else to do that day and the places get released.

Can't wait anyway. Missed running last year and did a bit of supporting in Stonehouse and Redshaw in the snow and cold but will be back this year.
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

Ah! Right! Cheers for that! Thought these days a 'classic' like this would fill up!

Really looking forward to doing this one for the first time next year.

Bill

I think I'll do it as a 'look-see' with Mrs tfg as she is entered for L50, and I'm L100 for 2016 so it'll be a good fitness excercise. Then maybe look to 'run' it 2017!? I take it recceing is complicated by the private land access?

The recceeing point is a bit of a mute point as the whole race is over open access land Iain. Also very very few people ever going across fleet moss and middle tongue so it's not like it's suffering from over use. I always take the few that running up there is fine but perhaps not in the month or two in the lead up to the actual race

Cheers Stolly. Are some area's more acceptable to recce or is it generally slightly frowned upon? I only really know the area from Ingleton to Dent, and really we can easily have a bimble/walk over those areas. Just really wondering about further afield. Where's maybe worth a check out, assuming we can do so?

Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    Where's maybe worth a check out, assuming we can do so?
    1. Heading across to Blea Moor from Dent
    2. The routes up to Dodd Fell and down to Fleet Moss
    3. Yockenthwaite Moor (obviously). Try to find what's left of the Blue Mug.
    4. From Buckden Pike to the finish (as most people do this in the dark).

Disclaimer! Some of these may include sections that are not on public rights of way and the organisers ask people not to reccie at all prior to race day.

Ingleton to Dent is a lovely run, but you're unlikely to get lost there on race day.
    Last edited by DinoF; 04-12-2015 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Shocking typing
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.