Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting back into it

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Getting back into it

Hi I'm Will from Hellifield.

I was a regular fell runner from around summer 2011 until summer 2014. Since last year I've really let myself go! I've gone from 70kg to over 90kg and I've even been smoking. I'm 26 years old and 5ft10. I've gone from running the 3 peaks last year to barely being able to run a 5k. I'm still running once or twice most weeks but it's not the same now I'm so heavy! I keep having weeks off running as well and my hours at work are irregular so it's hard to get into a routine. I still enjoy running yet i find it so hard to motivate myself as I can't run like I used to.

Has anyone got any tips/inspiration on how to get back into running after such a massive loss of form?

It might sound obvious, but just keep chipping away at the distances. Try and get out 3 times a week and do 5k each time then build yourself up...challenge yourself on these 5k's - so maybe a flat one, a hilly one then an undulating one, just to mix it up and try to keep yourself interested...I think once you can see you're progressing back towards what you could run before, your motivation will soon come back
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

Cheers Calvin, nice blog! I'll let you know how I get on. Do you think I could do the 3 peaks again next year if I start training now?

Quote Originally Posted by wjb View Post
    Cheers Calvin, nice blog! I'll let you know how I get on. Do you think I could do the 3 peaks again next year if I start training now?
    Thanks mate, I really should write more race reports...

I would reckon so (regarding 3p's), you co do the miles but obviously getting a time you "want" might be difficult without any racing or proper training since mid-2014...you could train enough to get round though, you've got 6 months basically, plenty of time if you can get back in to a routine of training.

Like the other lads have said, just build it up and try running with a friend or club runs, they really helped me when I started running last November and now I feel good, I find it much easier to go out on my own...maybe there is a direct link!
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

Really Will? What happened?

I've had a similar year in terms of dropping off performances and changing jobs, although not as much as you have by the sound of it. I've got back into it by religiously doing three key sessions a week, club run on Tuesday, club efforts on Thursday, and long run of 90mins+ on the weekend. I've then started to add on a hit here and there, like running to the club to make Tuesday's a slightly longer session, and doing two runs on the weekend. It's taken time but things are getting better.

Try also, running immediately after work before getting in and sitting down. That way you have less chance to slack off. It's hard getting back into it again.
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

It might be that you're focusing on how far you are away from your previous glories. This could be putting too much pressure on you. I think you should focus on the improvements you're making in terms of weight loss, improved times, hills you couldn't but now can run up, etc.

Have you joined a training group (or several)? It sounds like it might be hard with your erratic work hours, but every little helps. If it means you drag yourself out on a cold wintry night, it's definitely worth it.

Have you done any races recently? You probably should - they're enjoyable and it gives you a benchmark of what you could improve. It also means you'll have small tangible training aims (eg, improve my hill strength before that 4 miler in a month's time).

Good luck - I hope we see this thread again as you notch up the degrees of improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    It might be that you're focusing on how far you are away from your previous glories. This could be putting too much pressure on you. I think you should focus on the improvements you're making in terms of weight loss, improved times, hills you couldn't but now can run up, etc.

Have you joined a training group (or several)? It sounds like it might be hard with your erratic work hours, but every little helps. If it means you drag yourself out on a cold wintry night, it's definitely worth it.

Have you done any races recently? You probably should - they're enjoyable and it gives you a benchmark of what you could improve. It also means you'll have small tangible training aims (eg, improve my hill strength before that 4 miler in a month's time).

Good luck - I hope we see this thread again as you notch up the degrees of improvement.

Cheers guys all your comments are inspirational. I think noel is right that I'm focusing on my previous achievements too much. Maybe I need to just start again and forget my previous times and races. I've joined Settle Harriers since moving to Hellifield and I'm still a member of Ilkley Harriers but yes it is hard with my job to get to training sessions.

Haven't raced since July and I wasn't far from last back then! I'm worried I'd be last if I did a race now but I guess someone has to be last.

Hope your comeback continues to go well Rob and would be good to see you at Rombalds Stride again!

Quote Originally Posted by wjb View Post
    Hope your comeback continues to go well Rob and would be good to see you at Rombalds Stride again!
    Aye, I'll be there if you are. Not sure I'll be up to sub 3 on it again just yet, but who knows, there's still time
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    It might be that you're focusing on how far you are away from your previous glories. This could be putting too much pressure on you.
    Absolutely this!

I've done something similar. Went from running reasonably regularly a few years ago, to pretty much zero. And put on 15kg in the process. At first it's disheartening when you look back on how fast or far you used to run compared to now. But if you make the switch to 'look where I was last week/ last month' it all begins to look rosy again. It's all the fun and excitement of starting out as a runner, with the added benefit of knowing you can do it (because you've done it before)!

Get the miles in. Check you're not trying to run too fast (i.e., go for miles/ time on your feet as opposed to speed). The kg will be dropping off and the pace increasing before you know it.

I've also found that looking back through old running diaries, photos, even race results has been quite inspirational.

Thanks whichwaytothepub it's good to know there are others out there! I've just done 5 days of running in a row for the first time in over a year. Hoping to keep it going through December and lose a bit of weight. I'm feeling inspired at the moment and will be doing Mytholmroyd and Stoop all being well. Would be good to meet some other people off the forums at these races so anyone can feel free to let me know if they are going.