Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The local

Super Moderator

The local

I've been up Beamsley Beacon today. It's my local hill. I've seen folk skiing up there. I've been up on New Year's Eve. We ran up it on our wedding day. I love it and might have my ashes scattered up there when I log off the forum for the last time. What's your local hill? Not your favourite but the one you run up most often. The one you do when you've only got an hour or so to run
    Poacher turned game-keeper

The Darrens, two craggy bits on the Herefordshire side of the Hatterall Ridge on the edge of the Brecon Beacons NP. Cloud inversion up there today, stunning!

Hunger Hills and Bluebell Wood, not a mighty peak by anyone's standards.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Dale Top is the nearest "proper" hill to my house, and that I've "topped out" most often - it's not even a proper summit, just a "shoulder" of Sponds Hill just outside Lyme Park - I love it up there though, the view out over the Cheshire Plain/Greater Manchester, especially with the sun setting is stunning:
    http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=396...0372&A=Y&Z=120
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Beacon Hill (the one in Leicestershire). I can see it from my kitchen window, 2 miles away and 600 feet above me. I have various routes, but my favourite is along the permissive path (see 1:25000 OS map), over Buck Hill and then with the final 400 feet of continuous climbing from the Wood Brook to the Beacon summit. It's to the south-west of my home, so at this time of year I occasionally leave home after sunset and run to the top in time to see the sun set again. I love it like DT loves Beamsley Beacon, but my wife wouldn't have appreciated it if I had suggested going up there for our wedding morning jog!
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x...eicestershire+[Hill/Mountain]&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post

Hunger Hills and Bluebell Wood, not a mighty peak by anyone's standards.
    The billing as well, again not exactly a mountain but still some good views.

My most frequent is Otley Chevin, I have a 90 min route from home that gets me to the top of surprise view and back.
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Penhill from West Witton.

t.

I'm with you DT. Love my standard Round Hill Beamsley Beacon run. The views from the top are stunning over the Bolton Abbey estate & up The Dales. I wild camped up there in July with my son, which I will never forget. You can also see Simon's Seat......which has now got me thinking.....

British Camp on the Malvern Hills: 600 ft f climb from my front door. Not even the highest point in the county, or even on the Malverns, but it has a pretty impressive Iron Age hill fort on the summit.

005.jpg
    ....it's all downhill from here.

What's the trig above Addingham Moorside called, that's my local, can be there and back in 35-40 mins if pushed, but as is the theme with here I prefer Beamsley Beacon too.
    Dan Wilkinson - Ilkley Harriers