Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The local

Up to Darwen tower...about 750 feet of climbing from my front door - views over to Pendle & Blackpool tower when clear (very rarely!!!)
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

Bunkers Hill P1012746.jpg.

The dizzying heights of 420 ft above sea level. http://sbrtrfr.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/420-2.html

Pen y Ghent of course, just a fantastic mountain which I will never tire of running up. I must have run up there over 50 times this year at least. So many fantastic routes and lines to take, always a circular route as an option and, particularly in bad weather and/or after dark, you can really get a grand sense of isolation and wilderness up there (despite all the 3 peakers up there first thing on a Saturday morning). My shortest PyG run is probably 5.5 miles but its easy to incorporate into runs of any distance - I think my longest thus far stands at 35 miles

Picture taken 150 yards from home:

Mine is Black Hill. I have been at the summit trig a few hundred times. The best time was when this pic was taken. It was the sixth of the Peak District Six County Tops. A day I will remember for a long time.
    image.jpg

Top O'Leach. More than 3000 times in the last 30 years. Hail, rain, ice, snow, fog and just occasionally sun - like today. Lefty has probably done it more.

Nab Hill on Ovenden/Thornton Moor for me. I don't get bored with it either.

I'm very lucky to have Shutlingsloe as my local hill, and get up it two or three times a week (sometimes twice on the same run).

It's 506 metres and is known locally as the "Matterhorn of Cheshire" due to its "distinctive triangular profile". I suspect there's some reciprocal arrangement like with town twinning, where people in Zermatt call the Matterhorn the "Shutlingsloe of the Alps".

shlngsl.jpg

Bizarrely enough my favourite is also Beacon Hill, Leicestershire. I say bizarrely as Anthony Kay on the last page also mentioned this hill and I didn't expect to see a Leicestershire hill mentioned twice on a thread like this

It's Leicestershire's second highest point (no less), at 814ft, although it's prominence, according to Wikipedia, is just 187ft.

It was where my first ever race took place back in 2009, and I did the same race just last Friday. I was also up there today and will no doubt be up there again later in the week.

It's nothing compared to so many other hills and mountains, but it's where most of my training takes place and it's got me round Langdale, Wasdale and other great races, and I'm grateful for that!

Not so local, another favourite is Loughrigg. Just a great little mountain, and one that I did go up on the morning of my wedding (alone)! Perfect start to the day.
    Josh Hubbard - Ambleside AC

Super Moderator
    Some great posts. Thanks for sharing. I'd never picked up that Stolly lived in Three Peaks country
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Allermuir in the Pentland Hills (1100ft ascent, 24 mins from my front door) - did it at dusk today with basically just odd person, Highland cattle and a couple of deer sighted - stunning view in one direction of Edinburgh lighting up, islands in the Forth, sun setting on the distant munroes, whilst in contrast, the opposite direction looks like a wilderness (you could be in the Highlands).
    No matter what is troubling me, a run up there always puts me in a good mood - often do it before work when sometimes cloud inversion hides all of Edinburgh with just Arthur's Seat peaking through....
    Dave

Onward and Upward